[Solved] Calc file opens in Writer, all #'s

Discuss the spreadsheet application
willy555

[Solved] Calc file opens in Writer, all #'s

Post by willy555 »

I'm operating in Windows 8.1, using OpenOffice 4.1.1 .
When I opened my spreadsheet this morning I was greeted with what I believe to be a sign in screen.
I entered my name and initials and from there it went to selecting a language. Something to do with Zimbabwae.
By now I was sure I made some bad choices and tried to get out, but too late. The program opened in Writer.
I took a screenshot of what appeared and closed the file.
I'm sure it's the User Profile but now i have corrupted that I believe.
I did successfully load and run a different small previously created calc file with no problems.
At that point I went into Tools,Options and Tools, Customize and found the correct language, etc. and set it to English US I believe it was.
I have also created a new calc file with no problems.
Geez, I hope it is not to late to fix..... please help....:)
I'm not anxious to open my calc file again until I listen to your advise.
I did look at the USER file and sure enough, it was timestamped this morning at my opening experence. Shucks.
The screenshot is type png and about 70k if you want it i'll be glad to load.
The calc file is about 1.2mg.
Last edited by willy555 on Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 8.1
RoryOF

Re: Calc file opens in Writer, all #'s

Post by RoryOF »

Your file is lost, possibly due to over hasty close down of the computer before all housekeeping was complete. The prompt for your name/initials confirms this.

To try and recover your file, you should look in the backup and temporary directories pointed to by /Tools /Options /OpenOffice : Paths. Rename any files in those to type .odt (or whatever file type you were using) and see if they contain your data. Download Recuva or PhotoRec (only one needed) and let it do an indepth recovery of deleted files on your computer. You may get a file containing some or all of your data (or not).

Don't waste time fiddling with the damaged file - the sooner you do the undelete etc processes the better chance of recovery.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
willy555

Post by willy555 »

Thanks for this response..
I have a recent backup file saved.
Is it safe to run the backup? I would delete the "lost" file and place the backup in its place.
Sorry RoryOF, I'm a little nervous at this point.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you are worried, make a copy of the backup file at system level and open that. To avoid any such file loss happening again be careful to close down your computer using the Shutdown procedure (usually on the Start button!) and wait the few seconds for disk activity to finish.
willy555

Post by willy555 »

Thanks again. As you describe the shut down process, that is my precise procedure. However, for whatever reason, it doesn't appear to be the case this time.
I have read hundreds upon hundreds of posts in this Calc forum.
You, Roryof, and the many other volunteers, thank you gentlemen (and ladies, if you are there) for your unselfish time and sharing of your expertise. Thank you.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Don't forget that modern computer systems buffer data for writing to disk in a number of ways. The data may be held in software write buffers; then, when written to the hard disk it can be buffered internally and sorted, so that the entire buffer of data can be written in one movement of the disk heads across the disk platter. It is possible that you powered down before this internal action had taken place. We don't know for certain - all we can advocate is taking a few extra seconds before power off. Cumulatively such extra seconds will still amount to less than the time to rebuild a damaged/lost file.

Remember also that major commercial software providers have usability laboratories, where many users are monitored in their use of new software. Being an Open Source project, manned by volunteers, OO and LibO have not the resources for such usability studies and are dependant on user feedback, which can be uncertain in quality.
willy555

Post by willy555 »

Yes, I agree with all your points.
I replaced the file with the backup and it works perfectly.
For some reason, comments in this forum I'm sure, I dilligently began making daily backups of this Calc file. One to the Desktop, then from there to flashdrive. This forum has done far more than simply add some quality to my otherwise sloppy ways...:)
I will find a way to mark this as solved.
Many thanks to you and everyone around the world who give of their time.
Sincerely.