[Solved] Page preview in spreadsheet

Discuss the spreadsheet application
georgeallen

[Solved] Page preview in spreadsheet

Post by georgeallen »

How do I clear all the accumulated pages in Page Preview?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
openOffice 4.1.2 on windows 7
FJCC

Re: page preview in spreadsheet

Post by FJCC »

I'm not sure this is what you are looking for. Does Format -> Print Ranges -> Remove do what you want?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
georgeallen

Post by georgeallen »

FJCC wrote:I'm not sure this is what you are looking for. Does Format -> Print Ranges -> Remove do what you want?
No I tried that and it did not work, I have 65 pages in page preview I cannot remove! thanks for your help
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

What is the context of the problem? Is this new documents, one particular document, any document, Excel documents, ODS documents?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

have 65 pages in page preview I cannot remove!
And are those pages 'empty'?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
georgeallen

Post by georgeallen »

Bill wrote:What is the context of the problem? Is this new documents, one particular document, any document, Excel documents, ODS documents?
I previewed a few spreadsheet pages trying to get the correct amount of information on a page to print, eventual I succeeded in getting the right information on the page but I find all the original pages are also in preview, 65 of them, I wish to delete all the 65 pages that have build up in page preview but I don't know how and I have limited knowledge of this type of spreadsheet. The basic question is how does one clear/delete/remove pages from Page preview?
georgeallen

Post by georgeallen »

Zizi64 wrote:
have 65 pages in page preview I cannot remove!
And are those pages 'empty'?
No all the pages have some spreadsheet information on them but this is probably irelivent, full or empty, I just wish to delete the pages and have a clean empty page preview.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

No all the pages have some spreadsheet information on them but this is probably irelivent, full or empty, I just wish to delete the pages and have a clean empty page preview.
Do you mean the 'Print preview'?
If the answer is YES: You can suppress the printing of the empty pages by the option 'Suppress output of empty pages'
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

georgeallen wrote:...all the pages have some spreadsheet information on them but this is probably irelivent, full or empty, I just wish to delete the pages and have a clean empty page preview.
The purpose of Page preview is to show the data in a spreadsheet as it would appear when printed on pages. The pages are generated automatically and can't be deleted by the user without deleting the data or redefining the print range. There would be no point in having a page preview which shows no pages.

If you want Page preview to show only pages that will be printed, define a print range containing only the cells you want to be printed before selecting Page preview.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Is it that you want a new, blank, spreadsheet?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
georgeallen

Re: Page preview in spreadsheet

Post by georgeallen »

There are 75 pages of data in my spreadsheets page preview and I dont want to print the 75 pages. I wish to clear all the 75 pages so I can add two pages that I wish to store as a PDF does anyone know how I can remove the 75 pages from page preview so I can then add my to pages so I can store as a PDF file. :crazy:
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

As mentioned before "Define a print range".

Select the material you wish to print and then Format > Print Ranges > Define
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

georgeallen wrote:There are 75 pages of data in my spreadsheets page preview and … I wish to clear all the 75 pages so I can add two pages that I wish to store as a PDF?
I think you are misunderstanding the purpose of this display. It isn't something one "clears". You could display fewer pages using Format → Print Ranges → Remove but I think this will be a waste of your time in the situation you're described.
georgeallen wrote:There are 75 pages [in] page preview and I don't want to print the 75 pages
Note that you're using Page Preview. This shows how pages would look on a printer if they were printed, depending on the Print Ranges you've set and other printing settings in Format → Page. Check to see if the pages you want to print appear the way you want them, but don't be concerned about the ones you don't want to print. For example, you should verify that you've used Format → Print Rages to include all of the data to be printed.

To control what will actually print, select the sheet(s) you want (sheet tabs at bottom), then use File → Print… (the ellipsis tells you the menu item will display a dialog instead of printing immediately). In the print dialog you should be able to choose the pages if you want a subset. The print dialog will depend on your operating system, printer, and choice of option in OpenOffice → General → Print dialogs. I don't know what the dialog looks like on a Windoze system.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
georgeallen

Post by georgeallen »

Thanks for your help on this one.
Now for more detail.
I have 3 colums in a spreadsheet I wish to save as a pdf file, I select the columns and display them in page preview, they are pages 70 to 77 in Page Preview.
I select PDF icon (next to print icon) and save as a PDF file, I then find that all 77 pages are in the pdf file and I cannot delete the 1 though to 70 pages I do not require.
I have looked at Format and Print range but all the selections are "Grayedout" and I therefore cannot select them, so it would be nice to have a PDF file with just my current data on, this is not an end of the world problem but if I cannot resolve I will have to go back to my trusty abacus. bygeorge downunder 8-)
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

It sounds to me like you are accessing the Format -> Print Ranges section from within the Print Preview.
This is the only option where I find that all of the options are greyed out, as you describe.
Close out of the Print Preview, then try Format -> Print Ranges. The only one that might be greyed out, at this point, is the Remove option, and that's because you can't remove a setting that hasn't been set.

So try setting your print range from the main page (ie: not the print preview). You should find that everything now works as previously mentioned.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
georgeallen

Post by georgeallen »

Thanks for all your help, that now works a treat, I don't know why I did not think of that, plus I have discovered Sarnia!