[Solved] How can I enter data on ascension and declination?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
PeterNO

[Solved] How can I enter data on ascension and declination?

Post by PeterNO »

Astronomy right ascension and declination have the format 00.00.00. When I enter these figures, such as 89.15.51
Calc converts to date, or some other useless number.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
FJCC

Re: How can I enter data on ascension and declination?

Post by FJCC »

Highlight the cells you want to affect then go to the menu Format -> Cells. On the Numbers tab, set the Category to Text.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
PeterNO wrote:When I enter these figures, such as 89.15.51 … Calc converts to date, or some other useless number.
Read section 5. Understanding data entry in Ten concepts that every Calc user should know.

For this specific situation, do you need to do calculations with these values? If not, format the cells as text before entering values. Changing the formatting to text after entering the values will do nothing, as explained in the tutorial.

If you need to do calculations with the values, you'll need to use a number format that Calc understands. You will not be able to use DD.MM.SS because, to Calc, three two-digit numbers separated by periods is a date and you cannot change this behavior. However you can format the cell with number code [HH]:MM:SS (and note that HH must be enclosed in brackets). When you enter, using colons, 30:30:00, Calc will store the value as one 24th of the decimal degrees, that is 30½÷24 or about 1.27, but display will it as 30:30:00. (Section 4 explains why the factor of 24 is used.) To get decimal degrees, multiply the cell's value by 24 to get 30.5 in this case. If you're going to be doing trigonometry, convert decimal degrees to radians with =RADIANS(cell*24) to get about .53 radian. Now you can use the sine and cosine functions: =SIN(RADIANS(cell*24)) will be about .51 and =COS(RADIANS(cell*24)) will be about .86. You cannot get Calc to display the cells as 30.30.00 instead of 30:30:00 unless you want to use one column to enter and hold the numeric values and a second column to hold the display values.

I'd recommend using Styles instead of Format → Cells because styles are easier in the long run, but either way will work.

Don't immediately try the suggestions in the second and third paragraphs without out reading the Ten Concepts tutorial. You'll need that background to do much of anything useful with Calc.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
PeterNO

Post by PeterNO »

For FJCC, I do need to calculate; and for MrProgrammer, I'll try it out. To both of you big hugs.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

MrProgrammer wrote:You cannot get Calc to display the cells as 30.30.00 instead of 30:30:00 unless you want to use one column to enter and hold the numeric values and a second column to hold the display values.
You can. Apply Italian time format.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

My two cents: See attached.
Attachments
ooo81833_I_believe_in_angles.ods
(21.67 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Same with Italian input style.
Attachments
ItalianAngles.ods
(15.52 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice