[Solved] Create index cards from multiple spreadsheet rows

Discuss the spreadsheet application

[Solved] Create index cards from multiple spreadsheet rows

Postby GirlFriday » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:12 pm

Create multiple index cards - one for each individual street name with data coming from an excel spread sheet (approx 470 entries)

Spreadsheet Rows include:

Precinct
Residence Number
Apartment Number
First Name
Last Name
Reason
Street Name

I would like each card to look like this (roughly):

<Precinct> <Count> {number of residences on street}

<Street Name>

<Residence Number> <Apartment Number> <First Name> <Last Name> <Reason>

I think that I will need to bring the spreadsheet in as a database (I can do that), but I have tried multiple ways to extract the data after that and I can not seem to make it generate the information I need.

Is this possible? and if so, how can I get do it? Would a report or query work better?

Any information of how to do this would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!!!
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Open Office 4 on Windows 8
GirlFriday

Re: Create Report (Index Cards) of multiple records from exc

Postby MrProgrammer » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:08 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

You're more likely to get appropriate help if you attach a document demonstrating the situation (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself).
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800 on MacOS 10.14.6.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MrProgrammer

Postby GirlFriday » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:28 am

Book1.xlsx
Spreadsheet
(10.34 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Book1.xlsx
Spreadsheet
(10.34 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Mr. Programmer -

Thank you for your suggestion. I am not sure what you are asking for. The database? or a sample of what I need the card to look like?

I have attached two items: the excel spreadsheet (sample), and a word document that shows what I am hoping to accomplish as an end result.

I know this can't be hard, but I have been struggling with it all day! Thank you!

~mk
Attachments
Street Card.docx
Street Name Card
(11.48 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
Open Office 4 on Windows 8
GirlFriday

Postby MrProgrammer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:58 am

GirlFriday wrote:I know this can't be hard, but I have been struggling with it all day!
It can be hard to understand the first time, especially if you are used to the techniques used in other spreadsheet products. But's it's easy after that. First make a small adjustment to your spreadsheet to include the count.
201512131638.ods
(13.29 KiB) Downloaded 148 times

Sort your spreadsheet into the order you want for your cards and save it. Then use File → New → Database → Connect to existing DB → Spreadsheet → Browse → select your spreadsheet → Register → Finish to create and save a database which points to your spreadsheet.

Open your Street Card file. Turn on View → Field Shading. I did not see any fields in it, however that may be due to the use of the horrible DOCX format. I always work in native Open Office formats because use of the Microsnot formats can cause loss of data or formatting. Press F4 to see the available databases. You should find the one you just registered. Expand Tables and click the sheet name. Drag the fields from above into your Writer document and remove the unusable <Precinct> <Count> etc. text in the existing document.
Screen Shot 2015-12-13 at 17.21.16 .png

Place the cursor as indicated by the blue box and use Insert → Fields → Other → {your database} → {your sheet} → Insert. When you use View → Field Names you should see:
Screen Shot 2015-12-13 at 17.21.58 .png

Note the Next Record field at the bottom. For this situation I believe you can use a form letter. I don't normally do it that way, but it seems appropriate here. File → Print → Form Letter? → Yes → Records → All → OK.

This uses the Mail Merge process. Read about that in the Help, in this forum, or in the Wiki.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800 on MacOS 10.14.6.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MrProgrammer

Return to Calc