Using Calc for a simple task list?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Mama Bear

Using Calc for a simple task list?

Post by Mama Bear »

I want to switch my task list from Writer to Calc, so I can move cells up and down and drag them and drop them, and the one that was where I dragged it to, would move up or down in the list. Is that possible?
Melissa

OpenOffice 4.1.3 on a Windows 8.1 PC
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Using Calc for a simple task list?

Post by Villeroy »

Hold the Alt key when dropping the moved cells.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Mama Bear wrote:I want to switch my task list from Writer to Calc, so I can move cells up and down and drag them and drop them, and the one that was where I dragged it to, would move up or down in the list. Is that possible?
Alternatively, stay in Writer and make the task list items Headings. This allows you an outline like layout by using several different headings levels and you can move items up-down, promote/demote using the Navigator. It's a bit like using a list but much more flexible.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
acknak

Post by acknak »

jrkrideau wrote:Alternatively, stay in Writer and make the task list items Headings. ...
Or just a simple list (number or bullets). You can move list items up or down using the pop-up toolbar.

For Calc, re-ordering cells is a bit awkward at first, but once you do it a couple of times it's not so bad. You just have to get the right steps:

1) select a row
2) click anywhere on the selection and hold the mouse button for a couple of seconds. The mouse cursor should change to show that Calc is waiting for you to drag the selection.
3) drag to the new location
4) press and hold Alt to tell Calc to insert the selection rather than overwrite the destination
5) release the mouse button to drop the selection
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Mama Bear

Post by Mama Bear »

Villeroy wrote:Hold the Alt key when dropping the moved cells.
Thanks Villeroy!
Melissa

Mama Bear

Post by Mama Bear »

jrkrideau wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:I want to switch my task list from Writer to Calc, so I can move cells up and down and drag them and drop them, and the one that was where I dragged it to, would move up or down in the list. Is that possible?
Alternatively, stay in Writer and make the task list items Headings. This allows you an outline like layout by using several different headings levels and you can move items up-down, promote/demote using the Navigator. It's a bit like using a list but much more flexible.
How is that done, please?
Melissa

Mama Bear

Post by Mama Bear »

acknak wrote:
jrkrideau wrote:Alternatively, stay in Writer and make the task list items Headings. ...
Or just a simple list (number or bullets). You can move list items up or down using the pop-up toolbar.

For Calc, re-ordering cells is a bit awkward at first, but once you do it a couple of times it's not so bad. You just have to get the right steps:

1) select a row
2) click anywhere on the selection and hold the mouse button for a couple of seconds. The mouse cursor should change to show that Calc is waiting for you to drag the selection.
3) drag to the new location
4) press and hold Alt to tell Calc to insert the selection rather than overwrite the destination
5) release the mouse button to drop the selection
I don't see any way to bullet or number cells in Calc.

I understand that this suite was designed not to infringe Microsoft products but this is really obscure and hard to use for me, and I haven't had any formal training, only some really basic use over several years.
Melissa

acknak

Post by acknak »

Mama Bear wrote:I don't see any way to bullet or number cells in Calc.
Sorry, not in Calc. This is if you want to stay in Writer, then you can use Writer's outline list feature instead of moving to Calc.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Mama Bear wrote:
jrkrideau wrote:
How is that done, please?

Once you have your items in Writer, not Calc, apply whatever heading Styles you want (F11 to bring up the Stylist) and then you can open the Navigator ( Click on the funny looking compass icon on the tool bar.
Open the Navigator fairly widely and you will see some icons at the top right of the panel. The two on the top will move the selected heading (and any sub-headings) up or down. The icons on the second row will move things up and down.

I have attached a quick and dirty example. Note that I turned on the Outline numbering (Tools > Outline numbering) but you don't need to have it.
Attachments
items.headings.odt
(9.81 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Mama Bear

Post by Mama Bear »

I posted this about Calc, not Writer, thanks.
Melissa

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This may not be easily (if at all?) possible in Calc. I think you are trying to invent outlining; a useful article on using outlining in OpenOffice is at
http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/ ... of_ou.html

It may be better to consider using a different application - I suggest searching for "mind mapping"; many of these applications offer the interactive "pull and drop" functionality you seem to require.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS