[Solved] History of edits in calc

Discuss the spreadsheet application
EvMa

[Solved] History of edits in calc

Post by EvMa »

Hi
I’m having interesting problem to solve and to be honest i cant think of a way to tell calc that it should track my current edits and append them to (currently non existing) history sheet (file).

In one of my sheets i have multiplle rows that I edit daily and now there is need that i somehow maintain history of edits.So if row is changed it should (automatically) recognize that row is changed and transfer entire row into new sheet or even new ods file, what is important is that new change is in row below the old one.

I can do this manually, but more elegant solution would be a time saver.
Is there a solution for this situation?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Libreoffice Version: 4.4.3.2 on Ubuntu 14.4
RusselB

Re: History of edits in calc

Post by RusselB »

Have you considered using Edit -> Changes
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
EvMa

Post by EvMa »

Hi RusselB,
thanks for taking the time.
Unfortunalely it is not enough, ( I could be wrong, but as i can see i can only view last change)

I was thinking of a function which would compare row from sheet history with row from sheet warehouse and if it is different, to insert new row below (in history sheet) with information from that warehouse row.
however i do not know how to create new row from function or how to copy row to new sheet.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Your signature is:
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
Please upgrade your software to the latest Apache OpenOffice and/or the latest 'Still' version of the LibreOffice.
(...And (or) please update your signature.)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
mgroenescheij
Volunteer

Post by mgroenescheij »

Calc only gives you changes made by whom at what time, for a transaction log you need to consider a database.
AOO 4.1.5 on MS Windows 10 Professional & MacOS High Sierra 10.13.5
Please add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
EvMa

Post by EvMa »

Zizi64 wrote:Your signature is:
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
Please upgrade your software to the latest Apache OpenOffice and/or the latest 'Still' version of the LibreOffice.
(...And (or) please update your signature.)
Signature updated as is software.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

I don't think there is any practical 'automatic' way to do this within Calc. The closest thing to what you want that I can think of is a version control system but it is not automatic. See something like Subversion or https://git-scm.com/ though there are others around.

They may or may not be overkill depending on what you need. I have read of people writing a PhD dissertation who swear by a version control system although I believe that version control systems were designed for software development teams.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

The question is not clear to the detail for me.
However, if you cannot accept the suggestion to use a database instead of Calc, you should design your sheets and the evaluations/queries in a way enabling reliable tracking:
Do not change rows by your editing but add new ones.
Any different approach will (imo, of course) be either fragile or require a lot of programming. Even recording the history of a single cell's value by formulae cannot be done without a lot of helpers and taking risks. Creating a history for a single cell or a specific row by custom programming is not precisely difficult. It comes, however, with all the basic disadvantages of custom programming - and it will not meet your needs, presumably, on the long run.
As compared with all that keeping many rows (one recent and valid, others simply history) can easily be managed by implementing conditions in the evaluating formulae. And even better, if need arises, you can parametrise the conditions to evaluate any status quo ante.

Editing:
To explicate what I was talking of I made an example. See attached.
Attachments
ooo80352History001.ods
(16.83 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Last edited by Lupp on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
MrProgrammer

History of edits in calc

Post by MrProgrammer »

EvMa wrote:I could be wrong, but as i can see i can only view last change
Edit → Changes → Accept or reject shows all of the values which have been modified. You don't have to accept or reject if you only want to view.
EvMa wrote:I was thinking of a function which would compare row from sheet history with row from sheet warehouse and if it is different, to insert new row below (in history sheet) with information from that warehouse row.
Spreadsheets don't work that way. To log transactions you need a database.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
EvMa

Post by EvMa »

Thanks for your input, in the end it was decided that python app will be made to accommodate requirements +few extra goodies.
I still believe i could do this in calc, but it is beyond my current level.
Thanks again.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Will we be informed of your achievements?
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
EvMa

Post by EvMa »

Of course Lupp :super:
EvMa

Post by EvMa »

update: nothing new considering calc, python app is made and it does the job well.
@Lupp I never thanked for your input and example so thank you.