Lost spreadsheet (###)

Discuss the spreadsheet application

Lost spreadsheet (###)

Postby marks1 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:46 pm

I moved my computer and the spreadsheet that was using has been lost. How can I get it back?
open office 4.1.1 windows 7 pro
marks1

Re: lost spreadsheet

Postby floris v » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:51 pm

That's very little information to go on. How do you mean it was lost? Did OO Calc crash? Didn't you save it? If there is a file, in what shape is it? Please help us help you.
AOO 4.1.6 op Linux Mint
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
floris v
Volunteer

Postby marks1 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:51 pm

The spreadsheet auto saves everytime I close it. Nothing crashed. When opening the spreadsheet I retrieve it from "file" tab and then "recent docs". I restored the computer back to the day before I moved the computer, and the template is there titled as I usually see it, but it is not current. There is a spreadsheet in that spot , but when it opens, a filter set up titled "ASC II " pops up, and then when I ok the filter the file opens with "#######" in every spot. This could be it , but I don't know how to fix the "####" problem.
open office 4.1.1 windows 7 pro
marks1

Postby floris v » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:00 pm

Your file is lost, sadly. See 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs.
AOO 4.1.6 op Linux Mint
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Lost spreadsheet (###)

Postby angeltrex » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:45 am

Try increasing the width of the cells that are showing #### instead of what was originally in them.

When one of the cells is selected, does it also show #### in in the input line (the long bar up the top of the screen where you can type in data.)
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7 Home 64
angeltrex

Re: Lost spreadsheet (###)

Postby RoryOF » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:27 am

If the ### shows up in cells on the sheet, then widening the columns will help. If one gets ASCII filter message on opening and a display of ### then the file is damaged and most probably lost. This may have been caused by overhasty closure of the file and/or the computer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Calc