Filters are worse than useless

Discuss the spreadsheet application
hfvoidfjhl

Filters are worse than useless

Post by hfvoidfjhl »

Hello,

This is very frustrating.

I can't view an XLSX file that I KNOW works ( with my free Android App ) WITHOUT me having to selecting any filters, which turn it to gibberish.

How can I keep the same file formats and still view files properly with the newest Opens Office?

Honestly, these "filters" are NOT an improvement.

Thanks in advance.
Open Office 4.??? Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Filters are worse than useless

Post by Villeroy »

The filter dialog is shown when the type of file can't be detected which means that the file might be broken.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
hfvoidfjhl

Post by hfvoidfjhl »

Villeroy wrote:The filter dialog is shown when the type of file can't be detected which means that the file might be broken.
Thank you for your reply Villeroy,

I know the file is fine because I can open it without incident from Polaris Office on my Android. I apologize for not mentioning it before, I forgot that the file was password protected.

It would be SOOO much simpler and user friendly if OO just asked for a password wouldn't it?

As it stands, I can't open and read it in OO. Does anyone know how to open password protected files ( xlsx in this case ) in OO?

Thanks Again
Open Office 4.??? Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Find some other program to open that file. Only MS Office can open all MS Office files. They use all kinds of encryption algorhythms which may not be availlable with all combinations of platforms and applications. This is intentionally so. xlsx was not made for compatibility.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.