Copy,Paste & sort data

Discuss the spreadsheet application
JaneO

Copy,Paste & sort data

Post by JaneO »

Hi all, is there a way to copy more than one cell/column/row at a time?

also is there any way to configure the F4 button to repeat last action as in excel?
acknak

Re: Copy,Paste & sort data

Post by acknak »

... is there a way to copy more than one cell/column/row at a time?
Yes. Just select them and Edit > Copy (Ctrl+C).

Perhaps you could be a little more specific about what you want to do and what isn't working.
... is there any way to configure the F4 button to repeat last action as in excel?
Repeat is bound to Ctrl+Shift+Y by default. It is not terribly useful, as many operations are not repeatable.
F4 is bound to View > Data Sources.

You can change the key binding from Tools > Customize > Keyboard

Unless you have to switch back and forth between Calc and Excel frequently, I would say stick with the default settings. If you do have to switch back and forth, this is likely to be the least of your worries.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
JaneO

Re: Copy & Paste

Post by JaneO »

re: Copy & paste, used when preparing reports, need to collect data from various sources & paste them into new sheet/workbook................. when highlight selected cells/rows & column >> edit , cut copy & paste are greyed out.... ctrl + c, error box advises this function cannot be used with multiple selections. am running OO 2.2

any idea's would be much appreciated
acknak

Post by acknak »

Ok, I see now. Unfortunately, it is just a limitation of Calc. There is no limit on how many cells you can copy, but they must all lie within a single rectangular selection.

The only options I can think of are to copy the items one at a time, or select them all in one big rectangle, copy to a temporary sheet and remove the unwanted items.

I'm curious: if you could copy several cells that are not all together, what would happen when you paste them? Would they all appear in the same (relative) positions? Or would they all be collected in a single column? Or something else?

It seems like no matter what happened, you would still need to rearrange them one at a time.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
JaneO

Post by JaneO »

Thanks for that...... just for your info excel was very good what ever you picked up on the copy it would collate into relevant cells next to each other & in order

ho hum will need to work around this one, thanks again for your help :D