[Solved] Disable Delete Prompt

Discuss the spreadsheet application
White Phoenix

[Solved] Disable Delete Prompt

Post by White Phoenix »

I know I have done this before, because it doesn’t do this when I use OpenOffice in my host OS. I installed AOO on a virtual Windows, but I cannot remember how I disabled the prompt that pops up with delete options. I just want the defaults so this is unnecessary and I know it can be done.
Last edited by White Phoenix on Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Windows 7 Professional. 4.1.11 on Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Disable Delete Prompt

Post by Zizi64 »

but I cannot remember how I disabled the prompt that pops up with delete options
Which prompt are you mean?
(Please give us more details and/or please upload some screenshots)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

@White Phoenix: use "View your posts" (left of centre on Forum header bottom line), the search box on the window that opens will search only your posts. I suggest searching for "delete" to find the previous discussion.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
B Marcelly
Volunteer

Post by B Marcelly »

Key F1 and you may find answers...
Key F1 and you may find answers...
Bernard

OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 / Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 / LibreOffice 5.0.5
MS-Windows 7 Home SP1
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Just hit the other big key above the Enter key.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

RoryOF wrote:@White Phoenix: use "View your posts" (left of centre on Forum header bottom line), the search box on the window that opens will search only your posts. I suggest searching for "delete" to find the previous discussion.
Good suggestion, except I figured it out on my own. I did try it, though. Nothing came up related to this.

Actually, disable is the wrong word. I eventually wound up being able to delete the contents of a cell without the menu box popping up to select what I wanted to delete or if I wanted to delete everything in the cell. Could this be only in the Linux version?

I guess it’s called the Delete Contents box. See image. BMP is not allowed? Okay, wait. This time I won’t close virtual W7, just in case.
Delete Contents Box.JPG
Delete Contents Box.JPG (39.28 KiB) Viewed 6691 times
Last edited by White Phoenix on Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Windows 7 Professional. 4.1.11 on Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Just hit the other big key above the Enter key often referred to as the BACKSPACE key.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

Villeroy wrote:Just hit the other big key above the Enter key often referred to as the BACKSPACE key.
Both of your suggestions are incorrect. I just checked to make sure I wasn’t crazy or senile. I am neither. I can delete the cell contents by just hitting the Delete key without the Delete Contents box appearing . . . at least in Linux. Maybe I’ve been using Linux so long I can’t remember when I stopped getting this prompt.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

White Phoenix wrote:
Villeroy wrote:Just hit the other big key above the Enter key often referred to as the BACKSPACE key.
Both of your suggestions are incorrect. I just checked to make sure I wasn’t crazy or senile. I am neither. I can delete the cell contents by just hitting the Delete key without the Delete Contents box appearing . . . at least in Linux. Maybe I’ve been using Linux so long I can’t remember when I stopped getting this prompt.
So you are using LibreOffice and not OpenOffice.
OpenOffice does it right, LibreOffice imitates Excel.
You can turn off the missbehaviour under menu:LibreOffice-menu:Tools>Options>Calc>Compatibility
acknak

Post by acknak »

Does anyone use the "Delete Contents" dialog enough to warrant having it bound to a key? I know I don't.

It is possible to change the key binding: Tools > Customize > Keyboard ... (the dialog is the SECOND "Delete Contents" function in the list)

Delete Contents is also available through the Edit menu; I think I'll leave leave the Delete key same as Backspace..
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

Eeewwww. LibreOffice? Yuk.

I have better taste than that. I got rid of LibreOffice as soon as I found out it installs on Linux Mint by default. I let the Linux Mint developers know about the superiority of AOO and the fact that OOo is totally obsolete.

I know I don’t use the Delete Contents box at all. When it pops up in my virtual Windows, I dismiss it immediately. Oh, and I never use the Backspace key to delete contents, since (to me any way) that is what the Delete key is for.

Yes, that was it. In AOO on Linux, both the Backspace and Delete keys were assigned to the second Delete Contents. I did the same to my AOO in the virtual Windows 7 and it’s fixed now.

Thanks acknak.
i68040

Re: [Solved] Disable Delete Prompt

Post by i68040 »

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I found this link to the wiki which had the answer to this topic https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... n_Excel%3F

Modifying the Delete key behavior in Open Office Calc let me delete contents immediately with the 'Delete' button rather than dealing with the obnoxious 'delete dialog'.
Open Office 4 - Windows, Linux Mac
moriturimax

Re: [Solved] Disable Delete Prompt

Post by moriturimax »

"OpenOffice does it right, LibreOffice imitates Excel."

I love the jack---- that feel the absolute need to throw crap like that out. I've used Excel for years but am switching to OpenOffice because the spreadsheets I write and share don't work very well for those who choose by personal preference not to use Excel. Instead of brainlessly proclaiming that Excel is somehow a bad spreadsheet, let me tell you, in the last week I've found plenty of instances where Openoffice is just plainly a weaker and less developed solution than Excel.

If Openoffice DID it right, I'd be right up there, but it lacks many of the features I feel are essential to a spreadsheet. Openoffice is okay, but it's got a ways to go before it's in the same ballpark as Excel. But I'll switch because I want as many people to be able to use the spreadsheets as possible. And I agree, price is an important consideration. Microsoft really shoots itself in the foot by charging so much for it, as well as not having ever developed a model to allow people to turn their excel workbooks into standalone apps by compiling them.
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit