Default Line Height

Discuss the spreadsheet application
ffmalta

Default Line Height

Post by ffmalta »

Hello:

I'd like to know how to change the default line height in Calc. At least for me, it's too small (0,41cm).

Thanks!
acknak

Re: Default Line Height

Post by acknak »

I'm afraid you never got any answer to your question because it's not clear exactly what you want to accomplish. There are many different kinds of line in Calc: which one(s) are you referring to?

Were you able to find a solution?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
huw
Volunteer

Post by huw »

Judging by the number quoted, 41mm, I'd guess Row Height.
Dave

Post by Dave »

As with all problems in similarity, row height is only apparent, not absolute. That is, you can change the view to a greater percentage to make the lines appear to be wider apart on screen. That view will stick from file to file. For printout for the same effect you'd choose a smaller region per page in the Page Break Preview, and make it better fit the page to see that apparent enlargement on the printed page. For a proportional effect, then lower the font size. What you see is what you get.

David.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Oh, duh. Of course. When I saw "line" I only thought of a geometric line, not a table row. In that context, when I read "0,41 cm", I thought it was a mistake for "0,41 mm".

Unfortunately, the row height in Calc is not controlled directly by any style, so there is no way to set a custom default. However, the default row height is adjusted to fit whatever the default cell format is, and that is controlled by a style setting.

Here's one approach: we can add a little more space at the top and bottom of each cell:
Format > Styles & Formatting (or F11)
Right-click on "Default" > Modify
Borders > Spacing to contents:
Synchronize = OFF
Top = 1mm
Bottom = 1mm

Any change to the "Default" style that calls for more height will work.

Once you do that, you have to save the (possibly empty) document as a template, then make that template the default.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23