Printing spreadsheet with multiple pages

Discuss the spreadsheet application
jwa44

Printing spreadsheet with multiple pages

Post by jwa44 »

I've searched the forum and can't seem to find an answer to my problem.

I am usiing Oo ver 4.1.1 on Windows 8.1. I have a spread sheet with about 14 pages [one for each month and a couple of other misc. sheets]. When I try to print all of the sheets I only get 3, strangely the first and last and another partial sheet. I tried to use the format>print range>define function to no avail. When I try format>print range>add with all tabs selected my "print preview shows all pages but I only get partial printing of most of the pages.

I tried building another spreadsheet with multiple pages and I get the same kind of errors. I have no trouble printing single page spreadsheets or any other kind of document.

Any suggestions? TIA
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 8.1
MTP
Volunteer

Re: Printing spreadsheet with multiple pages

Post by MTP »

Have you looked under Format->Print Ranges->Edit? Seeing the defined ranges can sometimes clarify what's going on.

Another way to visualize the defined print ranges is by changing the view to "Page Break Preview" - all areas that will print will look normal and be outlined in blue; everything that will not print will be grayed out and outside the blue borders. If you hover over the blue border the mouse icon will turn to an arrow and you can click and drag the borders around as you like.

You might have to define a print range for each sheet. You would only have to do this once (unless you need to change the printable area), and then the printing would be as you expect anytime you use the sheet.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10, HSQLDB 1.8 split database
jwa44

Post by jwa44 »

Thanks for the reply. This problem, I think, may stem from the way that I'm trying to make my selection to define what I want to print. When I use your suggestion to check "page break preview" or to to "Format>Print ranges>edit" to see the selection, it only illustrates the page ranges that I don't want. That is what I see when I do a "page preview."

To reiterate: If I have a, for instance, a twelve-page spreadsheet and I want to print only pages 3, 5, and 7, I am selecting the tabs 3,5, and 7 using the control key. Then I go to "format>print range>define" and click that. This doesn't work.

I have tried highlighting the data on page 3, holding the control key, then going to tab 5, highlighting that, etc. What I get in this instance is only the tab 7 sheet because when I highlight the cells on tab 3 and switch to tab 5, even though I am holding the control key, the highlight on tab 3 is cancelled.

Also I get various results when I simply try to do a print without any selection. I would have thought that Oo would default to printing all of the pages.

I seem to be able to make a single page selection and I get what I want in that case, that is, if I define page 3, for instance, I get page 3, no problem.

I think this must be "cockpit trouble" since I don't see any posts of anyone else having similar problems.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 8.1
MTP
Volunteer

Post by MTP »

In the menu File->Print there is an option "All sheets"
This option will print all defined print areas of non-hidden tabs. So it's a little misleading in that it does not print "all sheets" if some of the sheets do not have defined print areas or if some of the tabs are hidden.

I have used spreadsheets this way, where if a certain tab never gets printed I just make sure it has no defined print area and then I can print with the option "all sheets" and everything else gets printed correctly. Or if I have a few tabs that get printed but only rarely, I'll hide those tabs before printing "all sheets".

The feature you are looking for - if I understand correctly, a dynamic way to print the defined areas on multiple selected sheets - does not exist.

Does that help?
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10, HSQLDB 1.8 split database