[Solved] Background change

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Islander206

[Solved] Background change

Post by Islander206 »

I have a sheet where some of the cells have Blue gray background and the rest of the cells have no fill.
Cell background.jpg
I'd like to change background of all Blue gray cells to some other color. Is it possible to do this with Find & Replace or Conditional Formatting or something else?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
LibreOffice 4.2.8.2 on Windows 8.1
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Background change

Post by Zizi64 »

I'd like to change background of all Blue gray cells to some other color. Is it possible to do this with Find & Replace or Conditional Formatting or something else?
Use Cell Styles instead manual (direct) formatting. Then you will able change properties all of Blue gray cells in the applied Cell Style.

(The Conditional Formatting function uses Cell Styles too...)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

...or maybe you can write a macro for test and change the color in a selected cellrange.

example code snippet is in:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57066
 Edit: You can determine the RGB code of the applied bakground color by an extension named "RGB":
http://extensions.openoffice.org/fr/pro ... e/rgb-120l 
Last edited by Zizi64 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Islander206

Post by Islander206 »

Would you please give me more details about how to find all Blue gray cells and change their background? They contain no numbers, no data, just plain text, different in each cell.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Just to be clear: there's no easy way to select/change all the cells with a background color. I wouldn't consider using a macro as "easy" unless you have a very large sheet.

You can select everything and remove the background, then apply a different color directly, or use a style as Tibor suggests, or use conditional formatting to apply a style.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Islander206

Post by Islander206 »

So, if I understand correctly, once background has been applied to a group of cells, there is no other way to change it beside to select the cells again manually and apply different background. But what if groups of such cells are scattered across a large sheet?
If this is a very difficult task, involving macros etc. - just forget it, it's not that important. But if it's possible to do it with just a few steps, why not? I just want to try different colors and see how it looks like.
Here is the sheet in question in the attachment.
BK-7m tone list.ods
(41.91 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Islander206 wrote: But what if groups of such cells are scattered across a large sheet?
... or even across multiple sheets?

This is what styles are about.
Call the stylist window (hit F11)
Ctrl+Click a single coloured cell.
Drag the highlighted cell into the stylist.
You are prompted for a name, say "Shaded".
Select manually all the blue cells
 Edit: or select one cell and run the macro code of my next posting which will select all equally coloured 
Double-click the "Shaded" entry.
Now all your equally formatted cells have this cell style named "Shaded".
Right-click>Edit... the entry, change colours, font, whatever you want.
The style change applies to all cells sharing this style within the same document.

Right-click>New... creates a new child copy of the style inheriting all properties of its parent. This way you can define formattings such as "just like "Shaded" but with/without ...".
Last edited by Villeroy on Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Code: Select all

Sub ChangeBackgroundColor

oDoc = ThisComponent
oView = oDoc.getCurrentController()
oSheet= oView.getActiveSheet()
oSel = oDoc.getCurrentSelection()
oAddr = oSel.getRangeAddress()

nSCol = oAddr.StartColumn
nSRow = oAddr.StartRow
nECol = oAddr.EndColumn
nERow = oAddr.EndRow

if (nERow-nSRow)>65536 or (nECol-nSCol)>1024   then
		Print "Error: too many cells selected"
		Exit sub
	end if

sv = CreateUnoService("com.sun.star.ui.dialogs.ColorPicker")
	sv.execute = com.sun.star.ui.dialogs.ExecutableDialogResults.OK
	colorcode = sv.PropertyValues(0).Value 'colorcode: the decimal code of the selected new color
	sv.dispose

for j = nSCol to nECol
		for i=nSRow to nERow	
			oCell = oSheet.getCellByPosition(j,i)
			if oCell.CellBackColor = RGB(230, 230, 255) then 'Search the desired (Bluegray) color
				oCell.CellBackColor = colorcode 'Change colors (equals to Searched color) to the selected color
			end if
		next 'i
	next 'j
End Sub
ChBackgColor.ods
(54.81 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
Islander206

Post by Islander206 »

Villeroy, thank you very much, this is what I need. It requires to select all my colored cells manually one more time, but just once. Instead of applying background directly to selected cells, I should apply a style first, then simply change that style's color.
Zizi64, your macro works flawlessly. No need to select cells by hand. There is one issue though: it affects Blue gray cells only. After the macro has been run, all cells changed their color and in order to run the macro again, we need to re-write it (if I understand correctly).
Anyway guys, many thanks for you help!
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Villeroy wrote:Select manually all the blue cells.
No, better select any such single cell and run this macro to select all equally coloured cells on the same sheet:

Code: Select all

Sub Select_Equal_BG_Color()
view = ThisComponent.getCurrentController()
sel = view.getSelection()
if not sel.supportsService("com.sun.star.sheet.SheetCell") then exit sub
basket = ThisComponent.createInstance("com.sun.star.sheet.SheetCellRanges")
col = sel.CellBackColor
sh = sel.getSpreadsheet()
ucf = sh.getUniqueCellFormatRanges()
e = ucf.createEnumeration()
while e.hasMoreElements()
	rgs = e.nextElement()
	if rgs.CellBackColor = col then basket.addRangeAddresses(rgs.getRangeAddresses(),False)
wend
view.select(basket)
End Sub
Then double-click your cell style.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Zizi64, your macro works flawlessly. No need to select cells by hand. There is one issue though: it affects Blue gray cells only. After the macro has been run, all cells changed their color and in order to run the macro again, we need to re-write it (if I understand correctly).
Yes, you must modify the code as you need it. For example you can use the color picker panel twice: once at select a color to "search", and again, when you select the "replace to" color. And then you need use the selected different (decimal) color codes (stored in two variable) for "search", and for "replace" procedure.
Islander206

Post by Islander206 »

Well, little too much for me... hey, I'm just a musician ;)
It's never too late to learn!
acknak

Post by acknak »

Here's a shot at a reasonably well-styled sheet.

You can change the background (or any other property) of the highlighted cells by changing the _Highlight1 style:
Open the styles window: Format > Styles & Formatting
Right-click on _Highlight1 > Background, select the color you want; OK

Change any of the other styles likewise, to change the headings or Default for everything.

The styles still have to be applied manually. If there is some data or property that determines which ones should be highlighted, then it's best to have that data on the sheet itself.
Attachments
BK_styles.ods
(33.52 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Islander206

Post by Islander206 »

acknak, in your version of the file it's much easier to manipulate cell's background in groups.
It seems to me I start to understand style formatting better and better, thanks to the forum.