Update of Graphs Fails

Discuss the spreadsheet application
himpelr

Update of Graphs Fails

Post by himpelr »

I just upgraded from Openoffice 4.0.1 to 4.1.0. Now when I add a new number to a column that is the data used in a line graph the graph fails to update. When I double click on the graph the line updates with the new data but when I click out ouf the graph the line reverts back to its' previous shape. If I file the graph does not change, but if I file and exit, then reopen the spreadsheet, the graph displays correctly.

The problem didn't happen with the previous version (4.01) and with the same spreadsheet file graphs update correctly in Libreoffice 4.1.3.2. I think this must be a bug. Has anyone else noticed this behavior?
Last edited by himpelr on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1
Linux Mint 16
Hagar Delest

Re: Update of Graphs Fails

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

See if Tools > Cell Contents > AutoCalculate is ON.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
himpelr

Post by himpelr »

I looked at the settings for Tools > Cell Contents > Auto Calculate and it is set correctly to auto caculate. I really think this is a bug. I have gone back to 4.0.1 but that is not a solution to this problem. I am running Linuxmint 16. I can boot up on either of two disks. The one I usually use is running Openoffice 4.0.1 and the one I can boot from but ordinarily back up to is running Openoffice 4.1.0. This morning I have reverified that the problem exists on only the 4.1.0 version.
Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1
Linux Mint 16
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Many bugs have been fixed with 4.1.1, let's hope that it has been fixed. It may be there: http://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffic ... fixes.html
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
himpelr

Post by himpelr »

I have now upgraded my operating system to Linuxmint 17 and Openoffice is now at 4.1.2. The same problem with charts not updating persists as before. Please let me describe the way the probem exists. I have a line chart that tracks a stock price weekly. There are always 52 data points on the X axis, one for each week of the year. When a new weeks' data is available the first week's data on the left side of the chart is replaced by the second weeks' data, and the new weeks' data is added on the right end of the line chart. Normally, I would expect that when the new weeks' data is added in the spread sheet by removing the top row and adding the new data to the bottom row, the chart would reflect the change, but it doesn't. If I double-click on the chart it shows the new data correctly, but when I click out of the chart it reverts to the old version. If I save the file and then re-open it the graph correctly displays the new data, and if I double-click on the chart it still shows the data correctly and when I click outside of the graph it is still correct.

I can take that same spread sheet file with Libreoffice(4.2.8.2) and when I updata the data the charts are updated correctly everytime. I prefer to use openoffice because one problem with updating Libreoffice charts is that a chart copied from one sheet to another and when the data ranges are modified that action sometimes kills the whole Libreoffice program and it's annoying to have to go through the recovery process. I then use openoffice to make the changes I couldn't make with Libreoffice, file, then re-open the spread sheet with Libreoffice and everything works fine from then on.

I also can run Openoffice on my Mac laptop and it has the same chart-fails-to-update problem as the Linux system. I never use windows so I don't know if it also has the problem.

I have also went as far as recreating all the charts and that seemed to work as long as I worked during that session, but the problem always comes back again the next time the file is opened.

If there is a programmer out there who is working on this problem, I'd be happy to help test and debug a possible solution.
Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1
Linux Mint 16
coray80
Volunteer

Post by coray80 »

I don't pretend to know the answer to your exact problem but as a user I put forward an alternative to the way you are doing things.
If you drop all your data into one spreadsheet on a separate sheet for your graph you can pull out only the last 52 weeks worth of data required for your graph.
This means that the addition of a new row of data in the all_data sheet will not change any boundary restrictions or formula ranges.
In the attached sheet the formula-

Code: Select all

=OFFSET($all_data.$A$2;COUNT($all_data.$A$2:$A$2000)-53+ROW(A1);COLUMN(A1)-1)
will grab the 52nd last date, and dragged down, the dates following.
The formula is set up so it can be dragged across as well but depending on your data set up then VLOOKUP up of the dates may be required to get only the columns you want.
Attachments
himpelr.ods
(18.84 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7
If your question has been answered please add [solved] to the title by using the edit button at your first post
himpelr

Post by himpelr »

I just found a new new problem that may lead to a solution to fix the graphs-fail-to-update problem. As I was entering new data this morning the graphs were updating correctly, every one. After a while I decided to file to make sure that the operations I had already entered were saved. After the spreadsheet was filed the next new data I entered and on every graph that I entered new data for failed to update the graphs. I went back and looked at the graphs that were previously updated correctly and they were still updated correctly. After the new data was entered for all the graphs that didn't update, I filed again. The graphs that failed to update remained un-updated. If I double-click on any of the un-updated graphs the new data shows correctly but when clicking outside of the graph to get out of editing mode, the graph reverted to the un-updated state. I hope this can help someone figure something out. I think this may be a serious bug.

Thanks for your suggestion coray80 but that's not it. I re-opened the spreadsheet with Libreoffice and all the graphs display correctly. I midstream file automatically every 20 minutes and manually file sometimes too, so graphs failing to update for simply filing is unacceptable.
Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1
Linux Mint 16
himpelr

Post by himpelr »

I just found a new wrinkle to the graphs-fail-to-update problem as I was entering new data to the spreadsheet today. As before, the graphs stopped displaying the new data after midstream filing the spreadsheet as I expected from what I discovered yesterday. As I went along from one sheet to the next, I noticed a graph that wasn't positioned exactly where I wanted it, so I clicked on it to move it to the right position and right after I moved it, the graph updated and displayed the new data correctly. I tried the next sheet and found that updating the data did not update the graph but as before but when I clicked on the graph and meerly hit the up arrow to move the graph and then the down arrow to move it back down to its previous position, the graph again displayed the change. It also displayed when I resized the graph but didn't move it.

So, it looks like to have the graph display the new data after a midstream filing is to simply move (or resize) the graph. Whatever code is used to update the graph must run when the graph is moved or resized but dosen't run after a midstream file is executed but does run before a midstream file is executed. Again, this has to be a bug in Openoffice as this situation has existed since 4.0.1. and as I stated before, Libreoffice has always worked correctly when it comes to updating the graphs when the data changes, before and after midstream filing the spreadsheet. I hope this helps to get a solution.
Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1
Linux Mint 16
cfratify

Post by cfratify »

I've been going nuts on this exact same issue. You described it to a tee. OO is telling me there's an update available, anyone know if this has been fixed yet? I will update if so but otherwise can't be bothered.
BTW, the up/down trick sorted me out pretty well for now, cheers!
OpenOffice 4.1.1, Win8
ago

Post by ago »

I had the exact same problem. :crazy:

Here is how I got it to work correctly again.

Mine was saved in old excel format.

So I saved as current Openoffice format .ods

Closed and reopened and it worked fine. :super:
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
jfoster50

Post by jfoster50 »

Problem still exists in 4.1.5 (on Windows 10). The workaround is to either move or resize the graph, or save, close, and re-open the file. (To clarify: This is NOT a copied graph that is no longer linked to the data.)
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
claytonrogers

Post by claytonrogers »

This issue sill exists a year later on version 4.1.6.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10 - 1809
Orghal

Post by Orghal »

Gosh, guys please help with this I know its not fixed, just download latest version and it never refresh data :( don't want use excel any more but with this problem there is no choose :( Chart no refreshing after data changes in cell, F9 and auto-refreh not works, why is like that? next reason to not use free software created by no one seriously?
Best Regards,
Orghal
OpenOffice 4.1.5 @ Windows 10 64-bit
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Did you try a Hard Refresh (aka Ctrl+F9)?
That will refresh, to my knowledge, everything, including things that just a Refresh (F9) doesn't touch.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

(If there is a bug at all. I never was affected by this one.)

I don't think there is still much bug fixing for AOO.

That's different with LibreOffice where some of the bugs I reported, and also some I only watched were fixed within a reasonable time (there are many unfixed old ones, too).

However, LibreOffice has a high release frequence (reaching now 7.0.0), and I suspect they manage to create more new bugs than they fix old ones. As always: There are two sides of the coin.

Anyway: If you want a supposed bug in AOO to be fixed, you need to report it - or to make your contributions to an already existing bug discussion on https://bz.apache.org/ooo/.

You may start with https://bz.apache.org/ooo/buglist.cgi?b ... 22chart%22
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München