[Solved] Fill down options

Discuss the spreadsheet application
gkw

[Solved] Fill down options

Post by gkw »

As a long term user of Excel just moved to OO, I'm getting an unexpected result from the "fill down". If I wanted to copy the same data in successive cells of a column, then (in Excel) I'd simply place the cursor in a cell and press ctrl/D to repeat the data from the cell above, or highlight a series of vertical cells starting with a filled cell and use ctrl/D to repeat the data from the filled cell into all the highlighted cells. However, in OOCalc, when I do this in either case, I get a selection table of all data previously entered in the column. When this list comprises 50+ items, it's a pretty frustrating exercise. Is it possible to switch off the table selection and just have it repeat the previous cell, and if so, how?
thanks
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Open Office 4.0.1 on Win 7 Pro, 32 bit
MrProgrammer

Re: Fill down options

Post by MrProgrammer »

gkw wrote: If I wanted to copy the same data in successive cells of a column, then (in Excel) I'd simply place the cursor in a cell and press ctrl/D to repeat the data from the cell above, or highlight a series of vertical cells starting with a filled cell and use ctrl/D to repeat the data from the filled cell into all the highlighted cells. However, in OOCalc, when I do this in either case, I get a selection table of all data previously entered in the column.
Your assumption that Calc is a clone of Excel and that all facilities work exactly the same is incorrect. Excel is a spreadsheet product. Calc is another spreadsheet product. They provide many common features but they are separate products. If you're unfamiliar with Calc, you are expected to use the documentation in Help > Contents/Index/Find or in User Guides (PDF). If you need help, first search for topics about your difficulty in the Calc Forum. If you need your spreadsheet product to function exactly like Excel, buy Excel.
gkw wrote:I'm getting an unexpected result from the "fill down".
Calc is doing what you asked in response to your action of pressing Ctrl+D. In Calc, Ctrl+D requests a selection list. If you want to fill down, use Edit → Fill → Down.
gkw wrote:Is it possible to switch off the table selection and just have it repeat the previous cell, and if so, how?
If you want Ctrl+D to perform the fill down operation, use Tools → Customize → Keyboard. You will find it, at best tedious, and at worst impossible, to tweak the all the keyboard shortcuts so they function exactly the same as Excel. This is Calc. Get used to it.
gkw wrote:As a long term user of Excel just moved to OO …
[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know

If this answered your question please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
gkw

Post by gkw »

Well, thanks to all who replied (I think), even to those who totally misinterpreted my request. I was NOT asking to make Calc operate like Excel across all functions, I am perfectly aware that all similar programs won't work the same, and some of the replies were bordering on the gratuitous. I mentioned Excel simply because it seemed the easiest way to describe what I wanted to do. To those of you who consider a response to a newbie is best configured as "read the help file, stupid", I would like to point out that I did read the help file, I searched the help file for "fill down", and I searched the forums for "fill down", and no search response dealt with the subject.
A proper thank you is due to the person who suggested using edlt/fill/down, and for the person who suggested customising the shortcuts. They were indeed helpful responses and give me some leads.
In future I will remember NOT to mention any previous programs I may have used when posting in this forum, which will hopefully filter the relies appropriately.
Open Office 4.0.1 on Win 7 Pro, 32 bit
Matt Hobbie

Post by Matt Hobbie »

The above responses to gkw are a little disturbing. It is not helpful to jump all over someone who is asking a legitimate question. I, too, am an Excel using wanting to migrate to OpenOffice. Keyword: "migrating"

We are not doing Open Source any good by bullying, intimidating, belittling, and patronizing, when we should be encouraging and welcoming new end users.

That being said, thank you to MrProgrammer for providing the answer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2, A00412m3 (Build:9728) Rev 1709696
2015-10-21 - Linux x86_64
Ubuntu Mate 15.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Matt Hobbie wrote:The above responses to gkw are a little disturbing. It is not helpful to jump all over someone who is asking a legitimate question. I, too, am an Excel using wanting to migrate to OpenOffice. Keyword: "migrating"

We are not doing Open Source any good by bullying, intimidating, belittling, and patronizing, when we should be encouraging and welcoming new end users.

That being said, thank you to MrProgrammer for providing the answer.
I would remind you that Mr Programmer has politely reminded the OP that Calc is not an Excel clone and that it is unnecessary and pointless to attempt to turn Calc is such a clone. I see no (your words) "bullying, intimidating, belittling, and patronizing".
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
ben@rlm

Post by ben@rlm »

So far, I agree with the "newb" who started the thread. Fill down seems like it could use some built-in macros in some later iteration. A double-click in the lower corner would be nice for some auto-fill. Select the area you'd like formula to copy into and then go to Edit > Fill > __ and choose the appropriate function.

Cheers,
b
Benjamin Meader -- Open Office 4.1.2 on a Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

ben@rlm wrote: A double-click in the lower corner would be nice for some auto-fill.
It fills down until the end of adjacent data.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2350 is a macro which inserts new rows into the current region and fills down any formula cells from above while taking care of some boundary conditions (merged cells, arrays, a global setting to expand references).

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ooomac ... on%201.01/ is another set of fill-down/up/left/right macros.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

A quick and dirty fill-down macro derived from my 10 year old work:

Code: Select all

Sub copyPreviousRow_Down()
dim oRg, oCell, ar, ac, sh
   oRg = thisComponent.currentController.selection
   If hasUnoInterfaces(oRg,"com.sun.star.sheet.XSheetCellRange") then
      oCell = oRg.getCellByPosition(0,0)
      ac = oCell.getCellAddress()
      if ac.Row = 0 then exit sub
      ar = oRg.getRangeAddress()
      sh = oRg.getSpreadsheet()
      oRg = sh.getCellRangeByPosition(ar.StartColumn, ar.StartRow -1, ar.EndColumn, ar.StartRow -1)
      ar = oRg.getRangeAddress()
      sh.copyRange(ac, ar)
   else
      msgbox "Current selection is not a single cell range selection in a spreadsheet!",16, _
        "Macro getSingleRangeSelection()"
   endif
end Sub
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
lino
Volunteer

Post by lino »

When converted to OO, I had the same habit and the same problem. Just change shortcuts you use most often and enjoy the ride :D
acknak

Post by acknak »

gkw wrote:... starting with a filled cell and use ctrl/D to repeat the data from the filled cell into all the highlighted cells. ...
Just for the record, libreoffice Calc implements this behavior.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Richarda44

Post by Richarda44 »

I looked in help for control+D and it does not seem to be on any of the short cut lists. The only place I found it was under Tools > customise > keyboard. I wish the Help was easier and complete. I really appreciate the help given by experts on this forum and I try not to let my feelings get too bruised in the process.
OOo 4.1.1. bld 9593 on MS Windows 10 64 SP1 Chillblast fusion i5 and Acer Aspire E1-572 Laptop

There's got to be a better way
And for all accountants - The change is coming
acknak

Post by acknak »

Sorry. Let's be clear: the feature is NOT supported in OpenOffice Calc; it IS provided by LibreOffice Calc and bound to Ctrl+d out of thye box. They're two different (though closely related) software products.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
SparkyJump

Post by SparkyJump »

I use a Mac and cmd + shift are what I need to "fill down".
Thanks to whoever programmed the improvement!
LibreOffice Version: 5.1.1.3, Mac OS 10.10.3