Can't open text files through explorer

Discuss the spreadsheet application
austin987

Can't open text files through explorer

Post by austin987 »

Howdy,

I've been using OOO for a couple years, but this problem recently arose when beta testing 3.0. On my main workstation, I've got OOO 2.4.1, MS Office 2003, and (recently installed) OOO 3.0 beta (started getting XLSX files).

All spreadsheet type files are set to open in OOO 2.4.1. .txt files are set to open in Notepad++. I *used* to be able to right click a text file and choose open with, and scalc would be listed. Everything's honky dory.

Install 3.0, try to get it to auto open all spreadsheet stuff. Chaos ensues. I've tried multiple combinations or repairs/uninstall/reinstalls, using WRITE_REGISTRY=1, etc. No luck.

Now, right click a text file, choose open with, and I have to choose program. Select scalc, click okay. Then I receive ~4 shell errors, saying:
"C:\Documents does not exist."
"C:\Documents and settings\Austin\Desktop\ does not exist."
"C:\Documents and settings\Austin\Desktop\Settings\Austin\Desktop\test does not exist."
"C:\Documents and settings\Austin\Desktop\file.txt does not exist."

Opening the file through OOO's file, open dialog works fine (though it opens in writer instead).

My job entails a ton of tab delimited text files, which make OOO a joy (the text to columns on import is _much_ better than excel, since you don't easily lose leading 0's. But this quirk is driving me bonkers.

Thanks in advance!
squenson
Volunteer

Re: Can't open text files through explorer

Post by squenson »

Please check the file association and the open command for txt files:
1. Open File Explorer (right click on the Start button, then Explore)
2. Go to the menu Tools > Folder Options > Tab "File Types"
3. Find in the list the extension TXT, select it and click on the button "Advanced"
4. Double-click on the command "open" and check the content of the text box "Application used to perform action". It should read something like: "C:\EditPadLite\EditPadLite.exe" "%1". What is important is the "%1" part, make sure it is within double quotes. If not, file names with path containing a space will be wrongly interpreted, which may be a cause of your problem.
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04
austin987

Re: Can't open text files through explorer

Post by austin987 »

I thought I had checked that already, but hadn't...I ended up uninstalling both, searching for deleting all OOO/scalc registry keys, installing 2.4, associating file type in the installer, then installing 3.0, no association. That fixed it. Not sure if 3.0 is causing the problem or not...Something similar happened on another box, and the quotes had been stripped there, so I just added the quotes and all seems well.

As for the main box, however, the situation is a bit different. After the un/re/installs, I've got 2.4 and 3.0. All excel files seem to open in 2.4, which is fine. I can right click text and have scalc be in the open with options. Huzzah! But, attempting to open an xlsx file opens it in 2.4. Trying to manually set the program to scalc (3.0) in explorer doesn't seem to work. It seems that since they're both named scalc.exe, windows is attempting to automatically use the 2.4 version rather than 3.0.

Interestingly, installing 3.0 and NOT associating the file types actually clears them out from the registry. I'll file a bug...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows W2k + Ubuntu Gutsy