Fatal error Vector<T> too long

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Halley70

Fatal error Vector<T> too long

Post by Halley70 »

I am using Open Office 4.0.1 on Windows 8.1 since half december. Before I used 3.x on Vista. I was always very happy with Open Office.
I especially use Calc a lot. Now I am using Calc to create a 80 pages book with data about cycling.
At the moment there are no formules except SUM and I removed the three pictures in it.
When I add new lines every other time the program hangs. When it comes back after several minutes I can use the program again until I save. Then I get:
vector<T> too long fatal error in Open Office 4.0.1.

The file gets restored. I can work again, but several minutes later the same happens and again and again.

Should I return to 3.2?

Ctrl+End brings me to O2299
The file size is 864kb.

Anyone has an idea?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic locked to encourage others to open their own topics
Open Office 4.0.1
Windows 8.1
RoryOF

Re: Fatal error Vector<T> too long

Post by RoryOF »

I'm not a Calc expert, but are you aware that the inbuilt paragraph limit in OpenOffice is 64KB? If line feeds (Ctrl Enter) are being used in place of Enter, which happens sometimes with bad habits brought forward from older editors, this limit can be reached.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Halley70

Post by Halley70 »

I was not aware of that 64kb limit. But I am not using paragraphs that way. Sometimes I merge a cell, but usually I make lists of riders etc. not too much text at all.
Open Office 4.0.1
Windows 8.1
acknak

Post by acknak »

Maybe someone else has an idea but I think I would need to look at a copy of your document to find out what the problem is.

You can use the "Upload Attachment" link (below the message entry area after you click "POST REPLY"). For tips on posting large or confidential documents, see: [Forum] How to attach a document here
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

One point on which I'd like clarification: You say "using Calc to create a 80 pages book". Why? How? Why not Writer?
As acknak says, we really need to see a copy of the file.
Halley70

Post by Halley70 »

When I upload this file: who can see it?
Open Office 4.0.1
Windows 8.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you upload the file, it is public. This posting suggests methods of removing confidential data before uploading
viewtopic.php?p=59232#p59232
acknak

Post by acknak »

Alternatively, you can use the email button at the right side of any post to send a private email message to that forum user.

Click the button to email me and I'll reply with a private email address that accepts attachments.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
CMorrison

Post by CMorrison »

This error has to do with Total Editing Time which is shown in the Properties of your spreadsheet.
Vector <T> is too long - Fatal Error occurs when the Total Editing Time reaches 365 days.

I am working through the steps to clear this, as I believe it will require resetting the Property Data and saving it with out applying the User Data first.
Once I am sure of the fix, I'll post again. Here's a view:
Here's a view of the Total Editing Time just before the Fatal Error<br />AOO V4.0.1 - vector&lt;T&gt; too long - Fatal Error which occurs when Total Editing Time has exceeded 365 days.
Here's a view of the Total Editing Time just before the Fatal Error
AOO V4.0.1 - vector<T> too long - Fatal Error which occurs when Total Editing Time has exceeded 365 days.
Charles "Charlie" Morrison
OpenOffice V4.0.1 / Windows 7
CMorrison

Post by CMorrison »

I've not come to a solution, so I spent a few minutes on a work-around. I don't consider this a resolution to resetting
a Calc spreadsheet that has been edited for 366 days, but it does allow one to work around it:

Create a new spreadsheet, assign a new filename to the new spreadsheet. Copy each sheet from your original file or
from a recovered spreadsheet into the new file.

< I'll leave it up to the moderator to make this SOLVED, if he considers this SOLVED or not.>
Attachments
Work around: Vector&lt;T&gt; too long - Fatal error &gt;&gt;<br />Create a new spreadsheet, assign a new filename to the new spreadsheet. Copy each sheet from your original file or from a recovered spreadsheet.<br />from a recovered spreadsheet to the new file.
Work around: Vector<T> too long - Fatal error >>
Create a new spreadsheet, assign a new filename to the new spreadsheet. Copy each sheet from your original file or from a recovered spreadsheet.
from a recovered spreadsheet to the new file.
Charles "Charlie" Morrison
OpenOffice V4.0.1 / Windows 7
jwvdvuurst

Post by jwvdvuurst »

Hi,

I suddenly also got this error.

Running on RHEL 6.5 (Linux Red Hat Enterprise Linux), with AOO version 4.1.1.

Procedure to reproduce:

Add a new sheet to an automatically generated excel formatted spreadsheet.
Type some text
Add "=" to a cell and move to the other tab for reference
Bang... I get the error "Fatal error Vector::reserve". Which I think is the equivalent of the "Vector<T> too long".

John
John van der Vuurst - Apache Open Office 4.1.1 - running on RHEL 6.5
White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

I am getting this error as well, but in 4.1.2 and after only less than 2 hours editing time. Everything was fine until just a little while ago when AOO suddenly closed. I am trying to enter the value of a cell from another sheet. I type the equal sign then as soon as I try to switch to the other page, the error box pops up with the fatal error “Vector <T> too long”. As soon as I close the box, OpenOffice crashes. I am working in real Windows 7 64-bit now. I gave up on the virtual machine. I just reinstalled everything and am still in the process of setting everything the way I had it. The only Java on the system is the latest version.

My Linux has access to the same file. I will close Windows and try the Linux Mint OS to see what happens.

Well, I didn’t get that far. On a hunch I rebooted back into Windows 7 and opened the file again. This is a newly installed OpenOffice. I had transferred the settings from my settings folder in Linux. It had a bad history list so I cleared it. So AOO had nothing in the history at all. I guess because it kept crashing it never had a chance to save the entry of the spreadsheet. So I saved and closed without doing anything. I opened it up. It had an entry for the file in the history and it’s fine now. At least for the time being.

11:47 am
It came back. I was working along okay for awhile. I filled up one column of the table and was experimenting. I hadn’t saved my work. Then I couldn’t paste into a cell. OpenOffice was not allowing me to paste. I tried hitting the paste command a couple of times in a row and then OpenOffice just disappeared. When it came back everything I had done was gone, of course, but when I started over the error had returned. I restarted AOO and instead of trying anything I just closed the spreadsheet. It was still on the history so I opened it up. The error still persisted. I had to recover, then close the file and exit out of AOO and restart it for the error to be gone.

I attached the file.
Attachments
Device Sizes.ODS
(16.48 KiB) Downloaded 402 times
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Windows 7 Professional. 4.1.11 on Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon.
datadog42

Post by datadog42 »

I am consistently experiencing the same "vector" problem switching to another sheet while editing a cell formula. OO 4.1.2 on Windows 7 64 bit.

The same spreadsheet works fine with OO 4.0.1 on OSX Yosemite 10.10.5.

Brought it back to the Windows/4.1.2 machine and it crashes again.

The "Total editing time" is 1,851 days. It only started having these problems recently.

I created a new spreadsheet with a different filename; copied all the sheets from the bad file into this one and it immediately crashed when I tried to switch to a different sheet while editing a cell formula.

wonder if I can go back to an earlier OO version?
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7 and 4.0.1 on OS X
White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

I never thought of that. I keep all of my old versions of programs just in case I need to roll back. I can install 4.1.1 on my Windows 7 and keep Linux at 4.1.2. This will work (I think) until the problem in the latest AOO version is solved.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Windows 7 Professional. 4.1.11 on Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon.
Martin.Flynn
Volunteer

Post by Martin.Flynn »

I've had this problem too. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=76315
I'm now using Libre Office, mostly, and haven't experienced the same problem as yet.
Rip Van Apache Open Office 4.1.3 / Libre office 5.3.5.2 on Ms Windows 10
drakebrimstone

Post by drakebrimstone »

I get this error on my Tablet (Surface Go) but not on my desktop (home built gaming PC). I can literally copy the file from the tablet to the desktop, do whatever I want with no crashes and transfer it back to my tablet and it will work fine unless I try to add a new cross sheet reference by clicking a tab while editing a cell.

I CAN add a cross sheet reference by manually typing the sheet name then the cell location. (Example: sheet2.A1)

I have tried coping all the sheets into a new file and get the same error.

I have reset my user profile

I get one of two errors each time this happens. Either the "Fatal error Vector<T> too long" error or an allocation error.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10 Home (Desktop) / OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10 Home (Surface Go)
artistgut

Post by artistgut »

The first time for me yesterday (Feb 4, 2020): "vector <T> too long". Working in OpenOffice 4.1.7 a small simple spreadsheet, creating a formula which was to reference a cell in another tab, as I clicked the other tab to go click the intended cell, this error occurred. Trying the same maneuver later created the same fatal error. I have a new (2weeks) Lenovo PC running Windows 10 updated. In the past I have done the same maneuver many times successfully in OpenOffice on my Windows7 PC.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows10 Home
cjf001

Post by cjf001 »

I have been getting this error intermittently with Calc. I am running ver 4.1.6 on Win 10. The file I am editing had about 704 days on it. 15 sheets, 45KB. I have been using OO for taxes for years so there are a lot of linked formulas, sheets, & files. When I am editing inter-sheet formulas I seem to get the error. After reading this thread, I looked at the properties window and saw the "Reset" button. So I clicked it and saw the editing time go to 0. Of course, that made no difference. This is super annoying.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

15 sheets, 45KB.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
mrkite55

Post by mrkite55 »

I recently upgraded to Ver 4.1.7. I had two sheets and was cross reference one to another. When I decided to add a third sheet i thought it wise to rename my sheets to avoid confusion. I renamed my master sheet Master. Then I started to do a cross reference to it in my new third sheet by using the equal sign of course. As soon as I clicked on the Master sheet I got the same error. The only thing I had changed was the name of the sheet so I renamed it again to the original Sheet1. The error went away. I have since been able to rename the first again without the error. Hope that helps.
MrKite
OpenOffice4.1.7 / Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Please upload your ODF type sample file here.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Inez

Post by Inez »

Hello,

I experienced the same problem on Windows 10 (fresh install) with multiple versions of OpenOffice (4.1.7 and newer). What worked for me as a solution is to change backward compatibility mode for soffice.exe file. All you got to do is locate that file (in ~Program Files), and in it's properties select backward compatibility mode to be Windows 8. After I've done that all my problems with OpenOffice crashing went away.

Cheers,
Inez
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

with multiple versions of OpenOffice (4.1.7 and newer)
Try the LibreOffice.
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/?lang=en

Note: it has 64 and 32 bit version too. And you must download and install the localized Help files of the LO separatelly.