Thomson ONE Equity DDE Excel Add-In

Discuss the spreadsheet application
jlsoaz

Thomson ONE Equity DDE Excel Add-In

Post by jlsoaz »

About three years ago I had to abandon my work in Calc and move to Excel. The final straw, aside from some occasional difficulty reading Excel charts, was that I needed to be able to use a DDE Add-In with Thomson ONE Equity software. They only supported Excel. I did try to ask a few questions in the Star Office forum and even spoke to someone at Sun over the phone, but to no avail.

I am not technically inclined, but am inclined to root for good software, so I got to thinking that maybe a post to this forum would result in some helpful suggestion that I can take up when I have the chance. Maybe implementation of some standard financial industry DDE linking practice would result in my being able to use calc again, at some point.
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Thomson ONE Equity DDE Excel Add-In

Post by Villeroy »

Proprietary solutions require proprietary software. Just use the software which works for you, extend other software or pay someone to do this for you.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Dave

Post by Dave »

I did try to ask a few questions in the Star Office forum and even spoke to someone at Sun over the phone, but to no avail.

Was it to no avail when you asked the Thompson software authors to comply? It is their decision, after all, to tie their software into other software. This is the stranglehold that MS has on the rest of the software developers.

Talking about stranglehold, if someone can tell me why diesel fuel costs more that gas, I'd like to know. Same thing, different product.

David.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Dave wrote:I did try to ask a few questions in the Star Office forum and even spoke to someone at Sun over the phone, but to no avail.

Was it to no avail when you asked the Thompson software authors to comply? It is their decision, after all, to tie their software into other software. This is the stranglehold that MS has on the rest of the software developers.

Talking about stranglehold, if someone can tell me why diesel fuel costs more that gas, I'd like to know. Same thing, different product.

David.
The more questions of this kind I read in this forum the more I see it as nagging, begging and bugging.
thinking loud wrote: "Those tech morons talk about openess and freedom in software. There's always a way to squeeze more out of sheeps."
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice