Using a Combo Box

Discuss the spreadsheet application
deerb

Using a Combo Box

Post by deerb »

I have designed a simple spreadsheet for my finances, and was going to use a dropdown combo box for categories, eg transport, home, utilities, etc. However, I was told by calc that I have to use a registered database for this. Is there any way I can hide these categories as a registered database in Calc without having to resort to creating a seperate database?

deerb
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Re: Using a Combo Box

Post by DrewJensen »

When you placed the ListBox control on the sheet it triggered the wizard and the wizard is for setting up a link to a datasource.
Just click cancel.
The ListBox control is still on the sheet.
Right click it (get the context menu ) and select "Control"
This opens the property editor for the control
Go to the Data tab.
You will see a property for both the cell to link to ( where the value is written) and a property for a cell range that can supply values to display.

HTH

Drew
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Using a Combo Box

Post by Villeroy »

Using form controls on sheets has several drawbacks. Have a look at http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... php?id=333 where I implemented something like "relations" by means of cell-validation (dynamic list validation works since OOo2.3). This technique can replace option buttons, combo boxes, check boxes.
Same with equivalents to buttons: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... php?id=716
The main advantage of "cell controls": You can copy them just like ordinary cells since they are cells. You can dynamically set their properties utilizing the spreadsheet language of references and functions.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice