Save As XML error

Discuss the spreadsheet application
easyaspi

Save As XML error

Post by easyaspi »

I am trying to save a spreadsheet as XML. It works when I have fewer than 6,000 rows, but it fails with more somewhere around 10,000 rows. I get this error:

Error saving the document (file name shown here): Write Error. The file could not be written.

Strangely, it shows the name of the current file, not the name of the file I am trying to save it as. This is on Windowx XP Pro, Open Office 2.3.1. I have also tried this on a Mac running OS 10.5, but am unable to even get the application to launch; it opens a terminal window in X11, but nothing else happens.

I am in a time crunch, can anyone help?

Mark
mark@easyaspi.com
Safway
Volunteer

Re: Save As XML error

Post by Safway »

Hmmm, I hope your time limit hasn't been reached.

Using OO.o version 2.4 I just did a quick check and saved out a Microsoft Excel 2003 XML file that contained 65,535 rows using File | Save As | File Type = Microsoft Excel 2003 XML.

Did you check obvious things such as disk space or size-limit restraints maybe set by the environment? For example, if your disk is full or if your are saving to a network location, the administrator may have imposed restraints upon your files.

What happens if you try to save it to BOTH a network location and the local computer?

Computer memory restraints might also play a factor here. I have 2 Gig RAM in my computer when I saved the above file.

To show the current file in the error statement is to be expected I believe (as it is using the current file to save OUT to the new file and it is still in the process of saving OUT from the current file).
If someone posts a fix for your question, then please post a quick thank you and then go to your first post, use the edit button to add [Solved] as the first word of the title so other people can rely on the fix as well.
LibreOffice 3.3.3 on Fedora
Chris Kirschner

Re: Save As XML error

Post by Chris Kirschner »

I am having the same problem running on vista 64 bit. And as a matter of fact, we are working on the same dataset - I just didn't know he had tried here too.