Drag and drop

Discuss the spreadsheet application
BobOpen

Drag and drop

Post by BobOpen »

I have a cell (A1, general format) containing text and number (e.g., 9W): In Excel, I can drag and drop A1 onto cell A2 and 9W remains as 9W in both cells. In Calc, 9W (General format) becomes 10W when it is dragged and dropped from cell A1 to A2.

In Calc, how do I format the 9W in cell A1 so that it does not become 10W when drag and dropped to cell A2?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: drag and drop

Post by Villeroy »

You drag the tiny square at the bottom-right corner, which triggers the generation of a sequence if the source is recognized as a number, month name or something.
1 > 2 > 3 > ...
Apr > May > Jun > ...
You can suppress this by holding the Ctrl key while dragging. This generates identical copies.

If you want to move the very same cell to another place, highlight the cell (Ctrl+Click or Shift+Arrow), select any point in the middle of the highlighted cell, drag and drop.
If you want to copy the very same cell to another disjunct place, select any point in the middle of the highlighted cell, drag and drop with Ctrl key pressed.
If you want to link the very same cell to another disjunct place, select any point in the middle of the highlighted cell, drag and drop with Ctrl+Shift keys pressed.
If you want to move the very same cell to another place and remove the old cell, highlight the cell (Ctrl+Click), select any point in the middle of the highlighted cell, drag and drop with Alt key pressed (since version 2.4).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice