Patterned cell backgrounds instead of colors?

Discuss the spreadsheet application

Patterned cell backgrounds instead of colors?

Postby duncan_nz » Fri May 16, 2008 4:02 pm

I have been looking for a solution for ages and finally I'll ask here...

Many of the spreadsheets I make use different patterns to say something about the nature of the different cells. But when I want to print these in black and white it's hard to see the difference between many of the colours. So, is there a way to use background patterns (hatches) instead? This would save quite a few people some money - the colour printer here at college is expensive to use.

I should also say that I've searched a lot for an answer but if it's out there it's hard to find because the word 'pattern' is mostly used in discussions about formulars...

Duncan
duncan_nz

Re: Patterned cell backgrounds instead of colors?

Postby kingfisher » Sat May 17, 2008 3:20 am

I don't see any provision for patterns. Font effects include 'outline' and 'shadow' and you could also use different borders.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on PCLinuxOS
kingfisher
Volunteer

Postby Dave » Sat May 17, 2008 5:09 am

The student version of the Corel Suite [Quattro pro] used to be quite inexpensive [relatively speaking ...I use to be a struggling university student at one time.] It will do what you need. Calc doesn't have that option. But then, as a struggling university student, you don't have much option either. The cost of printing must be much less than the cost of MS bloatware.

That said, the number of available patterns is limited, I think they are gross, and wouldn't personally involve any of them in any truly academic endeavour. Fluff doesn't replace good academic content.

David.
Dave

Postby kingfisher » Sat May 17, 2008 5:56 am

What patterns? Are you talking about Tools >Gallery?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on PCLinuxOS
kingfisher
Volunteer

Postby duncan_nz » Sat May 17, 2008 1:28 pm

It sounds like you are both saying this is not possible in OOo as it is now. Do either of you think this is worth having? Should someone (I don't have an account) make an RFE about this? Should I make a mockup image to show what I'd find useful?

I assume the same issues exist for various charts and graphs, but I've never used them. Printing an entire report in color just for a few charts must be a nightmare.
duncan_nz

Postby jrkrideau » Sat May 17, 2008 4:51 pm

duncan_nz wrote:I have been looking for a solution for ages and finally I'll ask here...

Many of the spreadsheets I make use different patterns to say something about the nature of the different cells. But when I want to print these in black and white it's hard to see the difference between many of the colours. So, is there a way to use background patterns (hatches) instead? This would save quite a few people some money - the colour printer here at college is expensive to use.

I should also say that I've searched a lot for an answer but if it's out there it's hard to find because the word 'pattern' is mostly used in discussions about formulars...

Duncan

I'm not very good at this but I'd suggest mixing types of text (bold , italic, etc) with some borders plus doing some trial runs with the various types of colours available to see if you can get a relatively different set of B&W outputs. I'd try colour graduations of something like greens or grays.

You might want to have a look at something like ColorBrewer for some ideas of what colour variants would give you decent contrast. I used it ( in another application) to get this set of colours http://www.mediafire.com/?hmczd1htbyh which work well in B&W. You lose colour contrast in the orginal but you still have some distinction.
LibreOffice 6.4.3.2; Ubuntu 20.04
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Return to Calc