[Solved] QOTIENT formula isn't working

Discuss the spreadsheet application
B-rad

[Solved] QOTIENT formula isn't working

Post by B-rad »

I'm trying to do a simple Miles/gal formula to track my car's gas mileage. The simple equations work like 200/10, but if I try to be more accurate like 210.7/13.2, I get a whole number. The help page says that I need Analysis Add-in, but I can't find it on the website. I reformated all the cells to 2 decimal places, but it's just more zeros.

I have the 2.1 version, and it seems like it should be an easy fix, but I just can't figure it out.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Re: QOTIENT formula isn't working

Post by kingfisher »

Analysis add-in is part of the standard installation.

What exactly are you doing? Do you have the formula =210.7/13.2 in a cell? The result I get displays as 15.96.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
acknak

Post by acknak »

You read the help, where it says you need the analysis add-on, but it seems you missed the important little tidbit just above it:
QUOTIENT
Returns the integer part of a division operation.
This function is only available if Analysis AddIn is installed.
The "integer part" will always be a whole number.

Instead of the QUOTIENT function, just use the division operator: /
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

B-rad wrote:The help page says that I need Analysis Add-in.
Tee-Hee. What this really reveals this that the Calc Function Implementation was re-engineered from the Excel (97) function definitions. The Excel Help says
QUOTIENT
Returns the integer portion of a division. Use this function when you want to discard the remainder of a division.
If this function is not available, and returns the #NAME? error, install and load the Analysis ToolPak add-in.
and Excel does have an Analysis Add-in.

The OOo help says
QUOTIENT
Returns the integer part of a division operation.
This function is only available if Analysis AddIn is installed.
Well actually as Acknak says, there is no Analysis AddIn in OOo; its standard.

Another good example of this is the Help for RAND(). It again mirrors Excel 97, but the implementation is different.
Ubuntu 11.04-x64 + LibreOffice 3 and MS free except the boss's Notebook which runs XP + OOo 3.3.
B-rad

Post by B-rad »

I got it! Thanks for the help. I'm a little rusty with the excel, and some of the equations needed a direct reference before I could get it to work(I'm not sure why), but I used =$A3/$B3 and it's working perfectly!