I knew I should ve thrown that MS office dvd right out the window...
Formula disappeared
Formula disappeared
So I was working on my spreadsheet and, well, we have to actually do it with excel, but excel is simply too annoying for me, so every now and then I am checking how my work looks in excel view. Now, I opened my document in excel, made a few a changes, saved, opened it with Calc again and alllllll the formulas, EVERYWHERE are missing, it doesn't have the formula in the cell, it just has numeric values. What on earth happened
I knew I should ve thrown that MS office dvd right out the window...
I knew I should ve thrown that MS office dvd right out the window...
OpenOffice 3.3 on win7
Re: Formula disappeared
What format are you storing the file in? In my Excel (2007), if I save a document in ods format it strips out all of the formulas.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Re: Formula disappeared
I apologise for my...steamy behaviour in the first post - I was simply too angry at the time to think with a cool head.
I saved my work as an ods for backup and then saved as an xls - everything was fine. When I changed things in excel (MS office 2010) and saved it as an excel file, when re opening it with Calc, saving as an ods file, everything disappeared.
For whatever reason, if you people work with Excel and Calc, must have backups made just incase this stuff happens, clearly Openoffice and MS office don't get along on the 1st name basis :/
I saved my work as an ods for backup and then saved as an xls - everything was fine. When I changed things in excel (MS office 2010) and saved it as an excel file, when re opening it with Calc, saving as an ods file, everything disappeared.
For whatever reason, if you people work with Excel and Calc, must have backups made just incase this stuff happens, clearly Openoffice and MS office don't get along on the 1st name basis :/
OpenOffice 3.3 on win7
- Hagar Delest
- Moderator
- Posts: 33699
- Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:07 pm
- Location: France
Re: Formula disappeared
Remember that .xls import/export filters have been reverse engineered. The .xls format has not been designed to be compatible with anything else than MS Office. That's the vendor lock-in policy. That's why it's important now to use true open formats like ODF.
But well, such an issue is rather strange anyway.
Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
But well, such an issue is rather strange anyway.
Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 25.2 on Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE 7 Gigi) and 25.2 portable on Windows 11.
Re: Formula disappeared
Microsoft claims they are able to use ODF format. That's wrong, they are just able to open an ODF like a PDF wiewer after converting .ods in .pdf.
Lies ! Just save in .xls!
Lies ! Just save in .xls!
LibreOffice 6.4.5 on Windows 10
- Hagar Delest
- Moderator
- Posts: 33699
- Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:07 pm
- Location: France
Re: Formula disappeared
Indeed. It's even insidious because it converts the formulas to numbers. So you think that there is no problem, until you try to change numbers and no calculation is performed...
Don't know if the bug will still be there for the ODF1.2 support in MS Office.
Don't know if the bug will still be there for the ODF1.2 support in MS Office.
LibreOffice 25.2 on Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE 7 Gigi) and 25.2 portable on Windows 11.