Cannot scroll cell if lots of text is entered.

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Graeme

Cannot scroll cell if lots of text is entered.

Post by Graeme »

Hi.

Another problem I now have, is that if you enter enough text so that any one row/cell takes up the entire screen, you cannot scroll to the end of the cell, to edit or otherwise enter extra information - the cursor vanishes from the screen, but the cell does not scroll up with it, so you cannot see what you are doing. Sliding the scroll-bars at the side of the window up or down, or using the up and down arrow-buttons above and below the scroll-bar, results in the entire cell being snapped off the screen, and you cannot see it.

I have attached the example ODT file.
Attachments
Text out of range.ods
(7.92 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
kingfisher
Volunteer

Re: Cannot scroll cell if lots of text is entered.

Post by kingfisher »

The sheet scrolls by row. You just happen to have a very wide row. You can overcome the problem by using a stack of merged cells instead of one large cell. Select a stack of cells and use Format >Merge cells. Insert your text into the merged cell. You will be able to scroll it row by row.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
Graeme

Re: Cannot scroll cell if lots of text is entered.

Post by Graeme »

Looks good on screen, but then in any print or print-preview, I only get about 4 or 5 "Rows" of text from the cell - the rest is ignored and not previewed or printed.

Thanks for the idea, though!

I have found a temporary way around it: Resize the column to the right, to make it wider, then I can see the end of the text, edit it, then resize it back to where it was. I still can't see it or edit it once it is back in it's original column width, but at least it prints right, and re-sizing to edit is not that much of a problem for me...
:)

It's only because I am being difficult - most people do not want to put this much text in a cell.