Rename column headings

Discuss the spreadsheet application

Rename column headings

Postby Art Camp » Sun May 13, 2012 3:15 pm

Using OoCalc 3.2 and Windows 7, I cannot change my column heading by double clicking on the column letter. Is there another way that I can rename a column? Art
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows 7. Art Camp
Art Camp

Re: rename column headings

Postby squenson » Sun May 13, 2012 5:56 pm

In Calc, it is not possible to rename the columns. You should create your column header on the first row, then you can freeze the pane so this first row will always be visible, even if you scroll down.
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04
squenson
Volunteer

Re: Rename column headings

Postby Art Camp » Sun May 13, 2012 9:20 pm

Thank you Squenson for your post. Maybe I do not need to change the Column headings. I was trying to write spreadsheet equations using meaningful cell names. I was hoping to define cell names in a column, such as, _T#1,_T#2, T#3, T#4, and etc. automatically. I could not possibly define each cell name individually. Can you help? Art
Art Camp

Postby squenson » Sun May 13, 2012 9:46 pm

A cell name can only contain A-Z, 0-9 and _ and it cannot start with a number. To create a cell (or range) name, clic on the cell (or select the range) and in the small rectangle which contains the cell name (to the left of the formula bar) simply type the name you want to give to the cell (or range). You can then use the names in formulas. But if you say you need so many cell names, why don't you simply use the cell reference (A1, B45, ...) to write your formulas. Then, if you need to copy a formula several times, you can and Calc will adapt the references for you.
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04
squenson
Volunteer

Postby Art Camp » Mon May 14, 2012 3:01 am

My presents Oocalc spread sheet equations presently use A8,B8,C8, etc. I have many Variable, to help proof my equations, it would be helpful to have symbols (short names) that brings to mind the variable that each symbol represents. Such as _Trx100 for the 100th occurrence (in time) of that particular variable.
Thanks for your response. Art
Art Camp

Postby kingfisher » Mon May 14, 2012 4:47 am

You can use Insert > Names > Define to assign a name to a formula (and, possibly, a value).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on PCLinuxOS
kingfisher
Volunteer

Return to Calc