[Solved] Sort tool should retain formatting

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Jarek

[Solved] Sort tool should retain formatting

Post by Jarek »

Hi all,
This seems the only place to put suggestions to the developer community, if not post me on where I can send this suggestion.
I would strongly suggest that the Sort function (both from the toolbar button and the menu Data\Sort function) not only move the text/formula of a cell but also its associated format (bold, color, etc.). I was rather surprised to see that this did not move upon sorting, and does not appear to be an available option in the full Data\Sort window either.
Otherwise, I like the product and will try to get others away from the microSloth.
Cheers
Last edited by Jarek on Thu May 01, 2008 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Improvement: Sort tool should retain formatting

Post by Villeroy »

1. This is a user-to-user forum Survival Guide. Please read these few guidelines to help us help you.
2. There is an official channel for reporting bugs: [Tutorial] Reporting bugs
3. This is the Base forum labeled "Discuss the database features". Your question refers to the spreadsheet named Calc.
4. If you had searched the forum you would have found several threads where the sorting capabilities are discussed in depth. Basically you select the whole range to be sorted and call Menu:Data>Sort... The dialog provides a multitude of options, such as "Include formats" on the second tab of the dialog.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Jarek

Re: Improvement: Sort tool should retain formatting

Post by Jarek »

Well that's what a moderator is there for, redirect the noobs.
Sure enough I missed that the option is there in the full sort dialog --Thanks for the pointer.
As for searching forums, which I did attempt briefly, that seems to be often hit-n-miss and will remain the bane of the manual forum posting system forever.
topshot rhit

Re: [Solved] Sort tool should retain formatting

Post by topshot rhit »

Basically you select the whole range to be sorted and call Menu:Data>Sort... The dialog provides a multitude of options, such as "Include formats" on the second tab of the dialog.
So it IS a bug that it doesn't work from the toolbar button since this should be default behavior. I did not find it in the bug query so should I submit one?
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP