.xls file error

Discuss the spreadsheet application

.xls file error

Postby 1nitwit » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:07 pm

Welcome beginner. Please answer all of the questions below which may provide information necessary to answer your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using? 2.4
What Operating System (version) are you using? xp
What is your question or comment? Trying to open a .xls file. Get the message General Error: General input/output error. Have no idea how to solve this problem. Please be aware that my username is an accurate description of my computer knowledge. I can follow step-by-step instructions, tho, as long as you don't leave an obvious one out assuming I will know it.
1nitwit

Re: .xsl file error

Postby AndrewZ » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:47 pm

send me the file as an attachment to [removed temporary address]
<signature>
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
</signature>
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Re: .xls file error

Postby AndrewZ » Thu May 08, 2008 3:59 pm

I didn't see an email from you. Do you still have this problem? I will send you a private message with my direct email address.
<signature>
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
</signature>
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Postby AndrewZ » Sun May 18, 2008 5:35 am

Sorry for the long time to reply. I tried this in Microsoft Excel 2007 and in OpenOffice.org. Neither work. I looked at the file with a hex file viewer, and all indicates are it is corrupt. There is some random data that does not belong. I see bits of JPEG, Photoshop, Apple, and Excel contents.

I hope you have a backup. Also, be careful when storing your documents on portable media such as floppies and USB disks.
<signature>
</signature>
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Postby 1nitwit » Sun May 18, 2008 5:32 pm

Thank you for the help. It is a comfort to know that it wasn't a problem on my end. I appreciate the effort it took for you to discover the real problem. So...thanks.
1nitwit

Return to Calc