Outputting envelopes from a spreadsheet?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
georgetoon

Outputting envelopes from a spreadsheet?

Post by georgetoon »

I moved to linux. I have Openoffice and Koffice. Now that it's the holidays, I'm readying my Christmas card. I want it to be an entirely Linux creation. I created the card in Scribus and have all printed out.

Now, i want to print envelopes. I have the addresses as a text delimited file that was saved form a Windows daabase program. i can open thisfile in Calc as a spreadsheet, but have no idea how to use this in OpenOffice for printing envelopes. Try as i might, I can't get it to read in OO's database program.

Howcan I conver the ile to read in OO's database program OR how do I use the OO' spreadsheet program to print out envelopes?

thanks,

Mark
kabing
Volunteer

Re: Outputting envelopes from a spreadsheet?

Post by kabing »

The easiest way is to do this is to use the spreadsheet as your data source. You have to create a new database file, and set it up as a connection to your spreadsheet. There are instructions on how to do this in the Getting Started With Base manual. (Note that the link is a download link for the pdf). Look under "Accessing Other Data Sources." Or, you can take a look at this thread in the forum.

Note that connecting to the spreadsheet will not allow you to edit the data in the Base document, but it will be quicker for your purposes. The forum thread above also mentions a way to import the data into Base so you can edit it within base.

Then you can access this data in Writer for envelopes.

kabing
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)
georgetoon

Re: Outputting envelopes from a spreadsheet?

Post by georgetoon »

Thank you so very much!:) How easy wasthat? It worked like a charm! I then set up the envelope using Insert>Envelope. Then hit View>Data sources and OO found the the database! All I have to do is just tweak the return address so it prints with the little cartoon graphic I have. And I can also now edit the database, update addresses, etc.

Many thanks! You helped me meet my goal of doing both the card and envelope completely in Linux!