[Solved] Drag + Select problem

Discuss the spreadsheet application
blastfm

[Solved] Drag + Select problem

Post by blastfm »

Hello.

I just installed OpenOffice 2.4.0 on my Windows XP (work) PC. I've been using OOo on my Ubuntu (home) PC for some time so I thought I might as well use it for work as well.

For my home PC, I mostly just use Writer so I'm not sure if this bug exists with the Ubuntu Calc as well.

Basically, with my work PC I noticed in Calc that when I select several cells spanning more than what the Calc window can show, the entire worksheet scrolls until it stops some thousand rows later.

Here is how it happens, at full screen Calc can show up to 50 rows at a time. When I select a cell, say I left click on row 10 on column C and drag until I get to the bottom of the screen, C50, everything is OK. But, without releasing the left button of the mouse, when I drag further to select more cells beyond what is currently showing, say up to C52, the screen scrolls continuously even after I've let the mouse go. Calc seems to be unresponsive until it stops, arbitrarily, at anywhere from 1000+ to 3000+ rows later. It also happens when I drag horizontally (select cells across different columns).

It's a hassle because aside from most of my work involving copying a number of cells from one worksheet to another, it also been a habit of mine to highlight and drag items across the worksheet or page and use that to scroll around horizontally or vertically.

I've looked around the forum and around the net for a possible fix but didn't find any. Hope you guys can help, or let me know where I can find a possible workaround for this.

Thank you very much :-)
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
huw
Volunteer

Re: Drag + Select problem

Post by huw »

This might not work, but try turning off Tools > Options... > Writer > View > Smooth scroll

See:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=67342

Is there now an equivalent setting in Calc? (I'm not using the latest)
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

I don't experience that problem in 2.4 on Linux. It occurs to me that there may be a problem with your mouse.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
blastfm

Post by blastfm »

Thanks for the replies.

Anyway I checked and Smooth Scroll is disabled, and this setting does not exist on Calc.
With regard to having a problem with my mouse, I doubt this is the cause because it happens even when I use the touch pad on my laptop.

Anyway, I don't know if this matters but the specs of my laptop are:
HP NC6220, Pentium 4 1.86GHz, 512MB RAM with WinXP SP2
blastfm

Post by blastfm »

The issue seems to have been resolved. Java on my PC got updated to Version 6 Update 5 and I no longer experience the unending select+drag issue I was having.

Thanks to all thos who looked in to this gave their support.