[Solved] Locking in rows

Discuss the spreadsheet application
BruceHinton

[Solved] Locking in rows

Post by BruceHinton »

I have searched help and cannot find anything on this.

I want to simply lock rows, (either all or in blocks), so that a sort by column, i.e., F would leave all rows intact.

If there is a FAQ or thread, out there somewhere, just send me there!!!

Thanks,
Bruce Hinton
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Locking in rows

Post by Villeroy »

Every cell is locked by default (think of an open lock attached to the cell). In the cell formatting dialog you can un-lock cells you want want to be editable (remove the lock from the cell). When you protect the sheet via Tools>Protection>Sheet... all open locks on the selected sheet(s) get closed.

However, you can not sort lists with locked ranges in between.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
BruceHinton

Post by BruceHinton »

Sorry, I am not stating my problem clearly.

I have a spreadsheet filled with Verizon phone-call detail data.

Across the rows, it goes from date to specific call phone numbers, and billing data.

I want to sort by the phone number, but when I try, only the phone number column is re-ordered numerically. The rest of the data for each phone number stays in place, by date, (as the file loads), even though the phone number column is properly processed, and re-ordered.

Thanks for your reply, nevertheless,
Bruce Hinton
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Select the entire list and call Menu:Data>Sort.... Do not use the buttons on the main toolbar. In fact it is often recommended to remove those buttons.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Select the entire table to be sorted, then use the Data - Sort dialog instead of he toolbar icons.

The tools on the toolbar sort the entire range when I try (using versions 2.3 and 2.4), but always by the leftmost column. I have read about the behaviour mentioned, sorting only one column, but can't duplicate that on my system. Perhaps it's on other (older?) versions of Open Office. I've always used the dialog anyway, as that provides more flexibility and power, and less guesswork.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Both methods sort one column when you have one column selected. You can select the whole range before sorting or set the active cell somewhere in the range. The latter implies the current region, which is the range of all adjacent non-empty cells around the active cell. In other words: The current region includes all cells not separated by emtpy rows nor columns.
BruceHinton

Solved!!!

Post by BruceHinton »

Solved!!!

Thanks so much to all of you, even if you were still thinking about replying!

The "Data", > "Sort" worked perfectly when I highlighted the whole spreadsheet from the top left corner and then chose, (in my case), Column "C".

Now I can amuse myself with block sorts, etc., but the primary sort by phone number is accomplished.

Thanks again.

Bruce Hinton