Saving as a DBF file

Discuss the spreadsheet application
jhaendiges

Saving as a DBF file

Post by jhaendiges »

When trying to "Save as" a DBF file, I now get an error message "Error saving the document <file name> Connection to the file could not be established" using version 2.4 upgrade. This is something I do on a regular basis and have never had a problem with version 2.3 and lower. But it happens every time with 2.4.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Jerry
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Saving as a DBF file

Post by Villeroy »

I can confirm the issue with OOo2.4 under Ubuntu 6.06. File>SaveAs..., File type: dbase(*.dbf), location: my home directory or /tmp/dbase.dbf
The file gets created containing headers only.
Workaround: I can create a new table in Base and edit in both Base and Calc.

Filed issue 88061
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
zx_alexis

Post by zx_alexis »

I have noticed, that this issue appears with format conversion incompleteness - numbers in string fields are not converted to '# format and it messes around integer/float conversions. I tried to copy/paste new data to dbf table saving header, but O_o couldn't save it anyway... Sorry for my poor English)
s_skinner

Post by s_skinner »

I have had the same problem as jhaendiges. I use OO2.4 on WindowsXP, but no trouble on OO2.3. Very frustrating.

One "work around" is to use OO2.3 I guess. Villeroy, could you explain your workaround? I pasted my .ods data into a table in BASE. Then what? I copied/pasted back to CALC to get the same issue.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

file>New>Database...
[X]Connect to existing database, type: dBase
specify your dBase directory.
You end up with a database where the tables represent the *.dbf files in the specified directory.
You can edit the data in Base. You can add new dBase tables. You can import via clipboard and drag&drop. You can add indices, SELECT queries, forms and reports. Unfortunately the dBase driver does not support relations.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
french

Post by french »

The latest developer release of version 3 seems to export dbf files correctly from calc.
french

Post by french »

Fixed in 2.4.1 :D