[Solved] Removing Former Print Range When Defining a New One

Discuss the spreadsheet application
crusader
Volunteer

[Solved] Removing Former Print Range When Defining a New One

Post by crusader »

I have read the help files and searched the Calc forum where I found one related thread but it was not addressing my issue.

I have a 60 page (sheet) spreadsheet. When I define an area to print by selecting (highlighting) the area of the sheet I want to print then go -> Format -> Print Ranges -> Define, the print preview shows both the previous (the selection I made the previous time) and the current selections.

In an attempt to correct the problem, before selecting the new area for printing, I went Format -> Print Ranges -> Remove, but this option was greyed out. It turns out that I can remove the former print range only by first going to the sheet where the print range belonged. I then have to go the sheet that I want to now print and make my selection.

Question: is there a method by which I can automatically remove the former print selection by just making a new selection. Under Tools -> Options -> OpenOffice.Org Calc -> Print, I have checked (ticked) the box that says "Print only selected sheets."

I hope my issue is clearly articulated. If not, below is another way of phrasing my problem:

Yesterday I had selected an area for printing from sheet 20.
Today, I want to print an area from sheet 45. After selecting the area to print from sheet 45, print preview shows 2 pages for printing: sheet 20 and sheet 45.
I am unable to remove the print definition for sheet 20 when I am in sheet 45. I have to first go to sheet 20, remove the print selection and then go to sheet 45 to select the new print area.

If there is a possibility of automatically removing the selection from sheet 20 by making a new selection from sheet 45 (saving me a trip to sheet 20), I would like to know how to do it. If it is not possible to "override" the previous selection, is there an easier way of removing the former selection without going to that particular sheet.

All help will be appreciated.
Last edited by crusader on Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
In a world without walls, who needs Window$.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Removing Former Print Range When Defining a New Range

Post by Villeroy »

Thank you for the very detailed description of your problem, including version and operating system in your signature.
My recent experiments with print ranges in Calc 2.4 reveals the following behaviour:
1. When we don't set up any print ranges, the visible cells of used ranges get printed.
2. Set up print ranges (Menu:Format>Print Ranges>...) apply to each sheet separately. Sheets without print ranges can not be printed if other sheets have print ranges.
3. Printing a selection of cells and sheets overrides scenarios 1. and 2.
btw: When selecting range(s) across sheets, we select the same range(s) on all selected sheets. Other spreadsheet applications may allow selections such as Sheet1.A1:B2;Sheet2.X4:Y5.

The print preview always shows everything from all visible used ranges (1.) or set up print ranges (2.) respectively. It never shows what is going to be printed in scenario 3.

Trying to reproduce your problem, I performed the following steps:
- In the second print dialog (File>Print>[Options...]) I set "Print only selected sheets".
- Added print ranges to Sheet1.
- Print preview shows the pages of that sheet.
- Unless I choose to print a range selection, I can print nothing but Sheet1.
- Added print ranges to Sheet2
- Print preview shows all the pages of both sheets
- Unless I choose to print a range selection, I can print the pages of both selected sheets or each sheet separately, regardless of what the preview tries to tell me.
- From Sheet3 (without print range) I can only print by selection.

I never ran into trouble with spreadsheet printing since I rarely print spreadsheets to paper and I never set any print ranges. I find Menu:Data>Outline>Group...(F12) quite useful to hide certain rows/columns before printing. Furthermore it is fairly easy to select multiple sheets in order to print them or hide them away.

BTW: Before printing my test sheets I used the "spadmin" tool in the OOo program folder to set up a pdf printer as default printer. I hate wasting ink and paper.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
crusader
Volunteer

Post by crusader »

Villeroy, thanks for sharing your experiences.

I am seeking to print only one page at a time. I do not need to print multiple pages at the same time.

What continues to bother me is, if yesterday I printed sheet 25 (after defining the print area), today when I define the print area on sheet 39, print preview shows print areas from both sheets. I was curious if there was a feature that would override the print area from sheet 25 and replace it with my current selection (sheet 39).

What I have had to do is to first go back to sheet 25, remove the print area definition and then go back to sheet 39 and define the print area so I can have only sheet 39 in print preview.

As versatile as OOo is, I am confident there is a simple solution. In the interim, if I find the solution (or an alternative), I will post it here.
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Don't care about the preview. It always shows all print ranges on all sheets. This may be useful to restrict the pages to be printed.
Set the print ranges on the sheet you want to print and call the print dialog to print the selected sheet (second option)
Or disregarding any print ranges: Select the range(s) you want to print and call the print dialog to print the selected cells (3rd option).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
crusader
Volunteer

Post by crusader »

Got it!

Thank you, Villeroy: your explanation was clear and simple.
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Removing Former Print Range When Defining a New One

Post by Villeroy »

Well, this was quite new to me. Can you confirm that it works for you the way it works for me?
crusader
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Removing Former Print Range When Defining a New One

Post by crusader »

I took your advice of not worrying about the print preview. It appears that print preview is an "advanced" feature that shows print definitions for each page that has a print area defined. This enables one to preview -- on one screen -- all the pages that have a print definition.

Since I needed to print only one page at a time, I selected (highlighted) the cells to be printed and chose the third option, "Selected cells" in the print command (File -> Print). This seems to work out quite okay.

I have not tried the second option, "Selected sheets" because I have no need to print multiple (or from multiple) sheets.

BTW, like you, I hate to waste paper and ink (not to mention I cannot afford either), so my "printing" referred to above was done on PDF. I am convinced that when done on paper, the results would be the same.

I prefer electronic versions to paper versions; however, this is a project for a friend who is a small business owner who I "converted" to OOo. If it is of help to anyone, the selling points were price and ODF.
LO 7.x on Linux Mint