QuickBooks

Discuss the spreadsheet application
KAlmy

QuickBooks

Post by KAlmy »

Quickbooks allows me to export reports to Excel. Does anybody know if there's a way to get it to export to OpenOffice instead of Excel? Thanks, Katherine
OpenOffice 2.0, Windos XP
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: QuickBooks

Post by TheGurkha »

OPenOffice.org Calc can read Excel files.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

See also that query.

Please add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.

NB: topic moved to the Calc section.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
pkrhonda

Post by pkrhonda »

Calc will not import Quickbook's Excel export because Calc refuses to operate the macros built into the Excel sheet. I've tried turning off Calc macro security and it still won't import. If anyone else knows of a work-around or a way to create an environment to run it in, I would be ecstatic. In the interim I continue to modify the .CSV export... :? BTW I'm now running OO 4.0 on Win7 Pro 64-bit
OpenOffice 4.0 on Windows 7 Pro 64
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Are you telling us that QB exports its data in VBA modules?

http://www.qodbc.com/default.htm is a solution to export from the QB database to any ODBC capable application (such as AOO)
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
pkrhonda

Post by pkrhonda »

Villeroy, my apologies, while moderately tech savvy, I don't know what VBA module stands for. I can say, though, that the export function/package/module opens Excel and allow user to choose data range to import, will manipulate data, and can call a different data range. The issue with Calc arises with the inability to get it to run the macros. It opens Calc and responds that security needs to allow the macros to run. Even with the lowest security option to allow all macros to run, the same message displays. Frustrating. The ODBC package you mention appears to be a report generation package. I would prefer to use what they already provide and not have to build my own reports. Sigh...
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Thank you for the clarification. I did not imagine how crazy this data export is organized. Now it would be interesting to see the VBA code which surely utilizes the ODBC driver to dump the report data into spreadsheets.
You can not blame OpenOffice that Intuit developers write code which is understood by Excel and nothing but Excel.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
pkrhonda

Post by pkrhonda »

Oh, goodness, Villeroy, I wouldn't blame OpenOffice! Intuit's designers are bound by their company's proprietary relationship to MS, as most common-use vendors are. Believe me, if our kitchen design package would easily run on Unix, I would have bid Windows a fond fare-thee-well long ago. Sorry, not very on point. I was hoping someone smarter than I had faced this and created a work-around or maybe a patch that would create an environment in which Calc could open the macros. Alas, it is manually editing the .CVS file for me.
pkrhonda

Post by pkrhonda »

As an aside, I believe I will post a similar request on Quickbooks' user BB and see if I get any bites there. I will advise if I have success and supply the gory details.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

There is an ODBC driver for QB.
There is a database component in AOO which is designed to connect this office suite to databases.
The problem is that virtually nobody is seriously interested in developing any solution.
Everybody nags someone else for a perfect solution which is always a claim like:
"Do exactly the same as Excel does"
or
"Make this program an 100% Excel clone for any 3rd-party software calling Excel".
Technologies do not work like this. Nobody will turn this software into a cloned Gigabyte monster and MS lives very well from being incompatible with the rest of the world. This used to be their business model. There is already a program which behaves exactly like Excel. If you can't afford it then you don't need financial software neither.
jessicacain
Banned

Post by jessicacain »

Office 365 when exporting it.
Jessica Cain is an account manager at SageNext Infotech - one of the leading [url=https://www.thesagenext.com/solutions/quickbooks-hosting]QuickBooks hosting[/url] provider.