[Solved] Duplicate sheet to new sheet, preserving formatting

Discuss the spreadsheet application

[Solved] Duplicate sheet to new sheet, preserving formatting

Postby Michael S. Lopez » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:38 am

I've worked hours to create a complex Calc worksheet with a page depicting a "Closet 1" against a graph-paper background. Now I want to depict another, very similar, closet on another sheet in the same worksheet. I want to duplicate the ENTIRE contents and formatting of the "Closet 1" sheet into a currently blank "Closet 2" page, including not only all cell properties (borders, background colors, etc.) but also all multi-cell properties, such as column widths, row heights, and groupings of merged cells. After that, I can make the few changes on the Closet 2 sheet required to convert the Closet 1 design into the Closet 2 design.

I suspect that this will involve the "Paste Special" command, but I have never figured out how to get Paste Special to work. Calc's built-in help failed to solve the mystery for me.

Background: I am a newbie to Calc, though I have used multiple versions of SuperCalc, Lotus 123, and Excel since I bought my first PC (an Osborne). So I'll need step-by-step instructions. I searched on this forum before posting this without finding a prior discussion of my precise problem, though I may not know enough to have entered the right search terms.

Thank you for your help!
Last edited by Michael S. Lopez on Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 3.2 running on Microsoft Windows XP
Michael S. Lopez

Re: Duplicate entire sheet to new sheet, preserving formatti

Postby ken johnson » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:46 am

Right-click the Closet 1 sheet tab then choose "Move/Copy Sheet..." to bring up the "Move/Copy Sheet" dialog.
Tick the "Copy" check box at the bottom of the dialog.
Select the appropriate value in the "Insert before" box.
Click OK.

Ken Johnson
AOO 4.1.3 on Ms Windows 10
Help improve this forum by clicking the EDIT button on your first post then adding "[Solved]" to its heading once a solution to your problem has been provided.
ken johnson
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Duplicate sheet to new sheet, preserving format

Postby Michael S. Lopez » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:20 am

Thanks, Ken Johnson! Your quick and easy solution did exactly what i wanted.
Open Office 3.2 running on Microsoft Windows XP
Michael S. Lopez

Postby jallan32 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:37 pm

Not solved for me. Apparently it worked for the original asker in 2011, but not in 2020. The copied sheet still has a strange mixture of the default row and column sizes and grey background.

I right clicked on the sheet I want to copy, selected "move/copy sheet," left the "to" selection unchanged, tried both "before sheet 3" and "end position" in the dialog box, and ticked off "copy" exactly as described in the "solved" reply. I tried several times, using CTRL+Z to return to the original sheet every time.

Version 4.1.5, AOO415m1 (Build 9789) Rev 1817496 2017-12-11 17:25; Windows 10 latest updates
(BTW, it would be nice to be able to copy and paste this information into a message such as this one, rather than retyping it.)

Any NEW ideas?
Open Office 3.3.0 on Windows 7
jallan32

Postby RoryOF » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:48 pm

Try Saving the file under another name, then you could try /Insert /Sheet : from file, using the copy file as source. Make sure you have another copy of the original file, in case of disaster.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Calc