"Form" function like in Excel

Discuss the spreadsheet application
jdrex

"Form" function like in Excel

Post by jdrex »

I am running OpenOffice version 2.3.1 under Windows XP.

Is there an easy way to perform the same function in Calc as the Data -> Form function in Excel?

For example, I have created a list of DVDs in Excel, and I can add to the list by simply clicking "Data", then "Form", and a form appears to ease in data entry. This menu option is missing in Calc.

Thanks,
Jon
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: "Form" function like in Excel

Post by Villeroy »

I wrote a simple macro which provides Excel's form feature but without showing a form actually. You can assign two shortcuts for insertion/deletion of rows within the currently used region. The macro takes care about adjusting references and copies down formulae.
[Calc, Python] expand/shrink list ranges

OOo's database component provides much better support of lists and forms than any spreadsheet.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
texhead

Post by texhead »

Hi
I am with jdrex as I believe many people are in an office environment.
Spreadsheets are used because of their ease of use and calculating power, most of the time that is what the office uses. Data is still needed to be put into the spreadsheet mostly by hand, this is where the Data-Form function in Excel works so well. No need to create a database and far easier to spread around the office.

This Data-Form function is necessary for efficiency and functionality.

I wish OO.o Calc had it.

Tony
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

This Data-Form function is necessary for efficiency and functionality.
Why?
I wish OO.o Calc had it.
Add it or pay someone to add it.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
texhead

Post by texhead »

Thanks Villeroy
Why?
Basically people in an office environment are not programmers nor technical. My opinion is based on actual experience in a call centre as well as working with business clients.
The Data-Form function can speed up data entry into a spreadsheet. Databases are out of the question. If you have used this function in MS Excel then you would understand my position.

Add it or pay someone to add it.
I may have to... as I am not that much of a programmer myself.

BTW I was hoping that v2.4 would have this.....

Tony
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The Excel form expands references and copies formulas. That's all it can do for you since Excel '95. The macro I linked adds exactly this feature. Typing values into text boxes provides less comfort than typing directly into cells (auto-text, spell-check, validation, conditional formatting,...). If you are not able to fill out spreadsheet cells, you should not use computers at all.