? about Spreadsheets

Discuss the spreadsheet application
eaglehorse6

? about Spreadsheets

Post by eaglehorse6 »

Welcome beginner. Please answer all of the questions below which may provide information necessary to answer your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using?
2.3.1 and 2.0
What Operating System (version) are you using?
windows xp home and ubuntu 6.06
What is your question or comment?
Is it possible to create a spreadsheet that I can add to and keep it alphabatized in each catagory.
For ex. catagory family
alphabatize names
and then another catagory so on and so forth. I hope I am clear enough sometimes I can have issues with getting my point across :oops:
Hagar Delest

Re: ? about Spreadsheets

Post by Hagar Delest »

Could you add some details or upload a sample file showing what you want?

NB: under Ubuntu, you can upgrade to latest 2.3.1 version (2.0 is deprecated now and rather buggy), see here : [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.

NB: moved you thread to the Calc forum.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Dave

Post by Dave »

eaglehorse6 wrote:Is it possible to create a spreadsheet that I can add to and keep it alphabatized in each catagory.
For ex. category family
alphabetize names
and then another category so on and so forth. I hope I am clear enough sometimes I can have issues with getting my point across
If I am guessing properly, what you need is a relational database. If you lack the knowledge and experience in spreadsheets you'll likely lack that in database management as well? I'd suggest that, if interested in family tree, you get a program already dedicated to that purpose.

David.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I keep my private addresses in the simplistic address tool of my mail program (Thunderbird). That address book provides 4 userdefined fields for anything you want. This could be used for userdefined categories like "F" for "Family" or something.
From time to time I export everything to plain text tables. Plain text tables can be imported into databases, spreadsheets and most other programs which are suposed to work with lists by any means. The primary use for spreadsheet is calculating figures, but they can handle plain lists of text values pretty well.
Yes, of course you can administer your lists in a spreadsheet. A spreadsheet may be the easy way to start with, but later it can be hard to get more out of it (relations to other lists, access across networks).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
eaglehorse6

Post by eaglehorse6 »

Dave wrote: If I am guessing properly, what you need is a relational database. If you lack the knowledge and experience in spreadsheets you'll likely lack that in database management as well?
Correct Hagar de l'Est Dave
I have not messed with a database in over 13 years and that was for a Mac. Most of those brain cells are long gone :D I am just learning the capabilities of OO Writer. OO is a great program suite and a great community.
What I want is to be able to create a database that I can enter business categories IE farm supply co.'s and then enter the ones my wife has contacted. I want to keep them alphabetized by name as they are entered into it. Say Jones in my town today . Tomorrow Acme in my town so on and so forth.Once I get that done I would like to be able to move the data to pending sales and then finalized sales.Right now My main concern is how to get it started by category/town and alphabetized as they are entered.

Please excuse my spelling in the earlier post the wind was blowing so hard yesterday I thought my internet connection was going to go out so I didn't take time to clean it up. :oops:
 Edit: Hagar: corrected the quoted poster! 
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Right now My main concern is how to get it started by category/town and alphabetized as they are entered.
Usually, you enter new records or edit existing ones and then you call some command to apply a sort order or refresh a previously defined sort order. It would be extremely annoying if the list would be constantly sorted while editing.
OK, let's start a spreadsheet which could be reused in a database later. Type the field names into the first row: "Family Name, First Name, Company, Category, ZIP, Town, County, State, Phone, Web Site, Email 1, Email 2, and whatever you find important.
Select all cells on the sheet (Ctrl+A)
Define a so called "database range": Data>Define... [some_name_without_spaces], button [More...], option [X]Contains Headers, button [Add], button [OK].
Select cell B2 and call Window>Freeze to keep the headers on top of the view.
Enter some records in arbitrary order.
Do not use the [A-Z] and [Z-A] buttons on the main toolbar. They are close to useless if not dangerous.
Click any single cell in your database range, call Data>Sort..., specify up to 3 sort fields (if #1 is equal, sort by #2, if #2 is equal, sort by #3).
Next time you want to sort, just click any single cell and call Data>Refresh.

Notice that I suggested the entire sheet as one large data range, including all the empty cells. This makes things easier, but you may encounter drawbacks at some point. For instance:
Click any single cell in your database range, call Data>Filter>AutoFilter
Apply some filter. It will hide all the empty rows as well.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
eaglehorse6

Post by eaglehorse6 »

Thank you for your assistance. :mrgreen:
Define a so called "database range": Data>Define... [some_name_without_spaces], button [More...], option [X]Contains Headers, button [Add], button [OK].
Lets see if I understand correctly. I go to data enter say Service Catagory, Click the more button and then I do not see Contains Header but there is a Contains Column Labels that is checked. then I add. That would be the beginning of the database? Correct.

I see your directions on how to sort the data. Now for a silly question. Ok under the Service Catagory Column I want to be able to create a list of sub-catagories like Feed Stores, Farm Supplies, Fence Companies and then enter the business names and have them alphabatized both by subcatagory and business if that is possible. I maybe getting over my head but I am forever doing that. :D
Thank you for your patients.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Have a look at this example file how to implement sub-categories in a spreadsheet list by means of Menu:Data>Validation... : http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... php?id=333
BUT ... a spreadsheet is deliberatly designed to take any value in every cell. You can easily circumvent the validation feature with a simple copy&paste. Validation is a "child-proof" feature to prevent casual mistakes.
We reached a point where a relational database design appears to be the tool of choice. A relational database really enforces that certain categories have distinct sub-categories, each person is unique and belongs to a unique company and so on.

An old Base tutorial: http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=25060
eaglehorse6

Post by eaglehorse6 »

Thank you for the info give me a few days to read, digest and apply what you have given me . This is another community that is great :D :mrgreen: to newbies. Thank you for your help.