[Solved] Changing AutoFormat for Hyperlinks

Discuss the spreadsheet application
UnkleBuck

[Solved] Changing AutoFormat for Hyperlinks

Post by UnkleBuck »

I don't want the blue-grey background, or the blue font for the hyperlinks to my website to show as such on my public invoice. How do I change that?

Thanks,
UB
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
acknak

Re: Changing AutoFormat for Hyperlinks

Post by acknak »

As far as I know, there is no way to get rid of the gray background of links, or change the background color. Nothing else in OOo puts a gray background on links; I can't begin to guess who thought it would be good to use it here, or why.

You can change the color of the link text, using Tools > Options > OO.org > Appearance > General > Visited links/Unvisited links.

What I prefer is, instead of creating the hyperlink as part of the cell text, use a formula:

=HYPERLINK("http://www.openoffice.org"; "OpenOffice.org home page")

makes a clickable link that you can format any way you like. The only thing you can't do is have part of the cell text be clickable and part not.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The background colour is borrowed from Writer's text fields.
Tools>Options>OOo>Appearance, section "Text Document", property "Field shadings"
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
acknak

Post by acknak »

Yes, I thought so too, but when I went there and un-checked the check box next to "Field shadings", Calc still showed the gray background.

Maybe it no longer uses that setting? Or, maybe I messed up somehow in testing it.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
jfr

Post by jfr »

I have the same problem here. I tried unchecking the field shading property and it didn't change anything in Calc.
OpenOffice.org 3.2.1, Mac OS X 10.6.4
sungkhum

Post by sungkhum »

Yeah, I was told Calc took the preference from Writer, but the field shadings are off in Writer and they still show as gray in Calc.

Anyone have a solution (other than changing the field shading color to white)...?

-Nathan
OOo 3.3 and LibreOffice 3.4.5 on MS Windows 7 64-bit
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I don't see any problem. The shading is an important hint to the editor. It does not appear on printed paper nor PDF.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
sungkhum

Post by sungkhum »

The problem is when you use a language such as Khmer - we use a zero-width-space between words, which is then shaded with gray because it is part of field shadings. There should be a way to turn it off.
OOo 3.3 and LibreOffice 3.4.5 on MS Windows 7 64-bit
Losunow

Post by Losunow »

acknak wrote:Yes, I thought so too, but when I went there and un-checked the check box next to "Field shadings", Calc still showed the gray background.

Maybe it no longer uses that setting? Or, maybe I messed up somehow in testing it.
I was frustrated with this also, and like you I tried changing it by unchecking the 'Field Shadings' box which did not fix the problem. Since I could not actually read the links because the gray background was so dark, I kept looking for an answer which brought me to this thread today.

After reading about unchecking the box I went to verify if I had already done that and I had. But what I had not done up to that point was to choose the actual color choice of white over on the right hand side of the 'Field Shadings' option. Once I chose white instead of leaving it as an auto choice, the gray background disappeared from the links in the calc sheet I was working on.

So, for me the problem is solved; no more dark gray background on the hyperlinks in the sheet.
Hope it works for others who want to change that formatting feature.
OpenOffice 3.4.1 Windows 7
diegowar

Post by diegowar »

Your work-around is a good solution if you're working with blank cells Losunow. Unfortunately for me, I'm creating links in cells with a colored background, and after looking for a long time I still haven't found a way to drop the grey background on links.

Acknak's solution of using the =Hyperlink(URL,Text) function is the best I've found, even though it's not perfect.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
PatF

Post by PatF »

@ Losunow - THANK YOU!
Like you, i'd played around with turning the field shading off, to no effect in Calc but hadn't thought to change the color of the shading!

@ diegowar -- My problem was that i couldn't read the link text. Before i saw Losunow's solution, i changed the color of the link text to Blue4 and visited-link text to Magenta5. At least then i could read the text against the gray background.
AOO 4.1.2 | Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 2.4.8 64-bit
Motozappa

Post by Motozappa »

Thanks Losunow, It still works in 2021 and it was an instant cure!
Losunow wrote:
acknak wrote:Yes, I thought so too, but when I went there and un-checked the check box next to "Field shadings", Calc still showed the gray background.

I was frustrated with this also, and like you I tried changing it by unchecking the 'Field Shadings' box which did not fix the problem. Since I could not actually read the links because the gray background was so dark, I kept looking for an answer which brought me to this thread today.

After reading about unchecking the box I went to verify if I had already done that and I had. But what I had not done up to that point was to choose the actual color choice of white over on the right hand side of the 'Field Shadings' option. Once I chose white instead of leaving it as an auto choice, the gray background disappeared from the links in the calc sheet I was working on.

So, for me the problem is solved; no more dark gray background on the hyperlinks in the sheet.
Hope it works for others who want to change that formatting feature.
Apache Open Office version 4.1.9 on Windows 10 Home (64 bit) version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
jgb3820

Re: [Solved] Changing AutoFormat for Hyperlinks

Post by jgb3820 »

As mentioned, unclicking the "field shadings" doesn't work to eliminate the unwanted background in a hyperlink cell. But, changing the color to white (or the color of your choice) fixes the problem!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.10
Windows 10 Home 64bit