DDE link from thinkorswim desktop to calc fails

Discuss the spreadsheet application
David Kershaw

DDE link from thinkorswim desktop to calc fails

Post by David Kershaw »

I just installed openoffice 3.2 on a new computer running windows 7 home premium 64 bit. openoffice installed perfectly and is working fine except for this issue. Thinkorswim's desktop trading application provides a dde link export to openoffice calc which they say has been tested and works fine for them. Below is an example of what they write to the clipboard (I pasted it into notepad).
When I type ctrl-V in calc I get a "text import" window with "Character set" choices, "seperator options" and "fields" with "column type" choices. If I select OK it gets pasted into the sheet with #N/A where the DDE linked numbers should be. If instead of ctrl-V I select "paste special" fom the edit menu I get a "paste special" window that says only "source: unknown source" and "selection,
unformatted text". If I then select OK the "text import" window pops up again. Thinkorswim's desktop trading application appears in windows task manager as "thinkorswim.exe *32". How do I fix this?

*************************************************************************************************
Quote on 4/6/10 17:32:04
Quotes
Symbol Last Net Chng Bid Ask BS AS Volume Open High Low 52High 52Low
IBM =DDE("TOS";"LAST";"IBM") =DDE("TOS";"NET_CHANGE";"IBM") =DDE("TOS";"BID";"IBM") =DDE("TOS";"ASK";"IBM") =DDE("TOS";"BID_SIZE";"IBM") =DDE("TOS";"ASK_SIZE";"IBM") =DDE("TOS";"VOLUME";"IBM") =DDE("TOS";"OPEN";"IBM") =DDE("TOS";"HIGH";"IBM") =DDE("TOS";"LOW";"IBM") =DDE("TOS";"52HIGH";"IBM") =DDE("TOS";"52LOW";"IBM")
MSFT =DDE("TOS";"LAST";"MSFT") =DDE("TOS";"NET_CHANGE";"MSFT") =DDE("TOS";"BID";"MSFT") =DDE("TOS";"ASK";"MSFT") =DDE("TOS";"BID_SIZE";"MSFT") =DDE("TOS";"ASK_SIZE";"MSFT") =DDE("TOS";"VOLUME";"MSFT") =DDE("TOS";"OPEN";"MSFT") =DDE("TOS";"HIGH";"MSFT") =DDE("TOS";"LOW";"MSFT") =DDE("TOS";"52HIGH";"MSFT") =DDE("TOS";"52LOW";"MSFT")
EBAY =DDE("TOS";"LAST";"EBAY") =DDE("TOS";"NET_CHANGE";"EBAY") =DDE("TOS";"BID";"EBAY") =DDE("TOS";"ASK";"EBAY") =DDE("TOS";"BID_SIZE";"EBAY") =DDE("TOS";"ASK_SIZE";"EBAY") =DDE("TOS";"VOLUME";"EBAY") =DDE("TOS";"OPEN";"EBAY") =DDE("TOS";"HIGH";"EBAY") =DDE("TOS";"LOW";"EBAY") =DDE("TOS";"52HIGH";"EBAY") =DDE("TOS";"52LOW";"EBAY")
FSLR =DDE("TOS";"LAST";"FSLR") =DDE("TOS";"NET_CHANGE";"FSLR") =DDE("TOS";"BID";"FSLR") =DDE("TOS";"ASK";"FSLR") =DDE("TOS";"BID_SIZE";"FSLR") =DDE("TOS";"ASK_SIZE";"FSLR") =DDE("TOS";"VOLUME";"FSLR") =DDE("TOS";"OPEN";"FSLR") =DDE("TOS";"HIGH";"FSLR") =DDE("TOS";"LOW";"FSLR") =DDE("TOS";"52HIGH";"FSLR") =DDE("TOS";"52LOW";"FSLR")
BAC =DDE("TOS";"LAST";"BAC") =DDE("TOS";"NET_CHANGE";"BAC") =DDE("TOS";"BID";"BAC") =DDE("TOS";"ASK";"BAC") =DDE("TOS";"BID_SIZE";"BAC") =DDE("TOS";"ASK_SIZE";"BAC") =DDE("TOS";"VOLUME";"BAC") =DDE("TOS";"OPEN";"BAC") =DDE("TOS";"HIGH";"BAC") =DDE("TOS";"LOW";"BAC") =DDE("TOS";"52HIGH";"BAC") =DDE("TOS";"52LOW";"BAC")
CSCO =DDE("TOS";"LAST";"CSCO") =DDE("TOS";"NET_CHANGE";"CSCO") =DDE("TOS";"BID";"CSCO") =DDE("TOS";"ASK";"CSCO") =DDE("TOS";"BID_SIZE";"CSCO") =DDE("TOS";"ASK_SIZE";"CSCO") =DDE("TOS";"VOLUME";"CSCO") =DDE("TOS";"OPEN";"CSCO") =DDE("TOS";"HIGH";"CSCO") =DDE("TOS";"LOW";"CSCO") =DDE("TOS";"52HIGH";"CSCO") =DDE("TOS";"52LOW";"CSCO")
SPX =DDE("TOS";"LAST";"SPX") =DDE("TOS";"NET_CHANGE";"SPX") =DDE("TOS";"BID";"SPX") =DDE("TOS";"ASK";"SPX") =DDE("TOS";"BID_SIZE";"SPX") =DDE("TOS";"ASK_SIZE";"SPX") =DDE("TOS";"VOLUME";"SPX") =DDE("TOS";"OPEN";"SPX") =DDE("TOS";"HIGH";"SPX") =DDE("TOS";"LOW";"SPX") =DDE("TOS";"52HIGH";"SPX") =DDE("TOS";"52LOW";"SPX")
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows 7
mriosv
Volunteer

Re: dde link from thinkorswim desktop to calc fails

Post by mriosv »

Try using Paste Special Ctrl+Shift+V
LibreOffice 3.5.4 AOo-3.4 on Win 7 Ultimate
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

If their application uses uses DDE why is it writing data to the clipboard? The whole point of DDE is to have two applications 'talk' to each other directly. I don't understand where the clipboard middle-man comes into it.

What do thinkorswim say about this? if they say this works with OpenOffice.org, does it involve the clipboard when they do it?
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
David Kershaw

Post by David Kershaw »

mriosv wrote:Try using Paste Special Ctrl+Shift+V
I tried that and it didn't work. See my original post (last part) for details.
David Kershaw

Post by David Kershaw »

TheGurkha wrote:If their application uses uses DDE why is it writing data to the clipboard? The whole point of DDE is to have two applications 'talk' to each other directly. I don't understand where the clipboard middle-man comes into it.

What do thinkorswim say about this? if they say this works with OpenOffice.org, does it involve the clipboard when they do it?
Yes, thinkorswim export copys the text I printed at the end of my post into the clipboard and specifically instructs you to start calc and paste it into calc. Its just an easy way of putting the right text and dde function links into the appropriate cells in calc so that calc reproduces in real time what you see in your thinkorswim desktop screen and you have all the power of calc to create functions of those numbers and see those functions updated in real time.