[Solved] Add custom comment or note to chart

Discuss the spreadsheet application
osmosis

[Solved] Add custom comment or note to chart

Post by osmosis »

Hi

I wonder if you can help with this problem.

I have created a basic bar chart from a spreadsheet with type on the y axis and $ on the x axis.

On the chart can I add a custom comment to a particular data point?

Say for example I sold 100 more units in July than in August and hence there is a spike in the chart -- I want to be able to add a note to the chart to explain the spike. Is this possible?

TIA
Last edited by osmosis on Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista
Robert Tucker
Volunteer

Re: Add custom comment or note to chart

Post by Robert Tucker »

You can add a text box having implemented View>Toolbars>Drawing but if you go to paste the chart into Draw to export as .jpg you will find the text box stays behind. If you just want a .jpg of the chart then you can export it through Draw and add the text in whichever graphics program you choose. If you want it both in Calc and in a .jpg then I think you may have problems. According to this very old thread it is possible with an API/macro:

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=4098
LibreOffice 7.x.x on Arch and Fedora.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Example with a text box form control bound to a calculated value: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... php?id=735
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
osmosis

Post by osmosis »

Thanks, I will try the draw option. Hopefully, text and images on charts that will export with the chart in toto will be implemented at some stage.
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista
EdIsenberg

Re: [Solved] Add custom comment or note to chart

Post by EdIsenberg »

This is probabliy a rhetorical comment, but i can't believe it is so hard to add a comment to a datapoint! Surely it can't be that unusual for people to want to annotate specific points for reasons similar to the one stated. I want a graph of my weight, which suddenly started declining on a certain date. I wanted to note on that datapoint what happened with my health. There doesn't appear to be a straightforward way to do this. I don't want to export it to DRAW because I will be adding new datapoints everytime I weigh myself.

This need would have existed from day one. Wny isn't there a way to do this after all these years? I'm a former software developer & marketing executive for major computer-related companies (including Director of Marketing at Oracle). I'd be embarrased not to have this solved by at least the 2nd release. :oops:

P.S. Libre Office is actuallyi worse in charting. If I use its chart wizard the resulting basic chart isn't even correct. :crazy:
I don't want to use Excel, and if I did I'm not sure it would be any better.
Edward D. Isenberg
MS Windows 10
OOo 4.1.2
LibreOffice 5.2.7.2
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Add custom comment or note to chart

Post by Zizi64 »

P.S. Libre Office is actuallyi worse in charting. If I use its chart wizard the resulting basic chart isn't even correct.
What is the problem in the chart wizard of the LO? Which LO version have you tried? Can you upload a sample LO file here?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.