"Maximum number of rows exceeded"

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Jango

"Maximum number of rows exceeded"

Post by Jango »

Hi All,

While i am importing CSV file in Calc i am getting this error message.""Maximum number of rows exceeded"

Kindly requesting you to Explain littile clearly if you are providing any of the Link or old post.(As i have gone throgh almost all the post but i m not clear those occasion).

Thanks in Advance!!!

Regards,
Jango
Last edited by Jango on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open office V3.1
acknak

Re: "Maximum number of rows exceeded"

Post by acknak »

Either your data file has more rows than Calc can work with (65536) or your CSV file has errors (usually a missing quote or extra newlines) that confuse Calc's text import code.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Jango

Post by Jango »

Hi all,

Could you please tell me is there anyway i can manually increase the ROWs and Coulumn size(Request you to explain Clearly).I think in my case the issue is some special character or new lines is casing the issue is any tool for finding and removing those bugs.

Thanks once Again.

Regards,
Open office V3.1
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
vasa1
Volunteer

Post by vasa1 »

Jango wrote:Hi All,

While i am importing CSV file in Calc i am getting this error message.""Maximum number of rows exceeded"

Kindly requesting you to Explain littile clearly if you are providing any of the Link or old post.(As i have gone throgh almost all the post but i m not clear those occasion).

Thanks in Advance!!!

Regards,
Jango
How many rows do you think there are in your original .csv file? If you mentioned that, it might help the people answer you better.
LibreOffice 5.2.1.2 on Lubuntu 16.04 (Openbox)
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Where does the csv come from? If the source database is somehow availlable you can connect a Base file to it and use selected row sets of that data source directly in Calc.

A spreadsheet is neither database nor text editor.

If you want to edit the csv under WIndows, this tiny program can do everything where a spreadsheet must fail: http://csved.sjfrancke.nl/

If you want to read the data for further processing, a database is a far better solution, even for smaller files. Although being the worst database tool on the planet, Base can handle valid(!) csv pretty well.

If you want complex spreadsheet formulas to calculate all the table data in one go, you've got to install MSOffice2007, QuattroPro by Corel or http://go-oo.org/. Reportedly, the latter variant of OOo provides a million rows, but Calc does not handle millions of formulas without massive performance problems.

The latter scenario is far beyond what a spreadsheet is intended to do. There are far better alternatives, even free ones, such as http://www.r-project.org/
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
acknak

Post by acknak »

Unless you know that you have a large data set, the problem is most likely an error in the format of the data file. OOo Calc displays that message even when the real problem is not the number of rows at all.

I don't know of any tools for fixing such data errors, other than a text editor (or OOo Writer, in a pinch).

If I were in your place, I would try cutting the data file in half (remove half the lines) and see if that loads correctly. If it does, then the problem is in the half that was removed. Replace half of the part you removed and try again. That should let you zoom in on the part of the file that has the problem fairly quickly, but finding an fixing the exact error usually comes down to carefully reading the file.

If you want to attach your data file, I'll try to take a look at it. You can use the "Upload Attachment" link (below the message entry area after you click "POST REPLY"). [Forum] How to attach a document here You'll probably need to put it into a Zip archive and attach that.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23