Consecutive numbering

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Martin.Flynn
Volunteer

Consecutive numbering

Post by Martin.Flynn »

Welcome beginner. Please answer all of the questions below which may provide information necessary to answer your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using? 2.3.1
What Operating System (version) are you using? XP home Sp2
What is your question or comment?

Is it possible to set up automatic consecutive numbering in calc? e.g. Invoices. I've searched the forum with no results! :|
Rip Van Apache Open Office 4.1.3 / Libre office 5.3.5.2 on Ms Windows 10
James
Volunteer

Re: Consecutive numbering

Post by James »

Hi Martin,

You can set up Calc so that when a new sheet is copied/inserted it will copy a formula from a relative cell, which can result in consecutive numbering.

E.g in Sheet3 Cell E1 enter =SUM(Sheet2.E1+1) then copy/insert the sheet. The new sheet will be called Sheet3_2 by default. The formula in Cell E1 of that sheet will automatically be =SUM(Sheet3.E1+1).

However, if you need automatic consecutive numbering in an existing field I think you would need to link to, or create, a database for that purpose. I'm sure someone else will correct me if I'm wrong :)

HTH,
James
www.8daysaweek.co.uk - A User-Focused OOo site.
Windows Easy Installation CDs & OOo on USB Keys, OOo for Mac OS X + Ubuntu CDs

Please read: Survival Guide for the forum
OOo 3.1.1 on Ubuntu 9.x + Windows XPP, Mac OS X
Martin.Flynn
Volunteer

Post by Martin.Flynn »

I can manage without it but looks like I'll need to learn base!

Thanks for your help
Rip Van Apache Open Office 4.1.3 / Libre office 5.3.5.2 on Ms Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Martin.Flynn wrote:I can manage without it but looks like I'll need to learn base!

Thanks for your help
Yes, shure. As soon as you need some concept of uniqueness, you are lost with a spreadsheet. There is not much to learn about Base. The steepest learning curve is the overall concept of relational databases, relations, normalization and Structured Query Language (SQL). Many small companies earn their living with this kind of stuff. All software tools for running the IT of a company are based on databases and they are expensive.
Since you don't know about spreadsheets nor databases, you are far better off learning about databases first. Then you may decide in favour of any other database but Base or Base as just another tool to access your database. Spreadsheets *seem* to be easier but they become extremely comlpex when you try to build something reliable that looks like a database.

btw: =ROW() without arguments gives the unique number of this row. But you must not sort the list nor insert rows then.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice