Saving Calc files as tab delimited

Discuss the spreadsheet application
normantomalin

Saving Calc files as tab delimited

Post by normantomalin »

Welcome beginner. Please answer all of the questions below which may provide information necessary to answer your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using? 2.3.1
What Operating System (version) are you using? Vista HOme
What is your question or comment? I'm new to OO and need to save a spreadsheet file as a tab delimited file. In Excel I "Save As" the xls file as a (tab delimited) txt file. How is this accomplished in Open Office?
squenson
Volunteer

Re: saving calc files as tab delimited

Post by squenson »

normantomalin,

Welcome to the forum! To save a file with tab delimited, use Save As, select Text (CSV) and click the Edit box:
f1.PNG
f1.PNG (4.51 KiB) Viewed 38909 times
Then in the new window, select the {tab} option:
f2.PNG
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04
cmikal

Post by cmikal »

In the example screen shot you show a very simple file name (ttt). OK.....no problem....but what if you already have MANY files already saved on your computer and those files all have long, complicated names ending in a TXT extension, and you want to replace one of them with the document you are now editing? What then? Files with the TXT extension do not appear in the dialog box so that you can select it from a list, and you cant leave the file name empty, so you are stuck.

If you dont understand the dilemma, here is the scenario:
We have many relatively small tab delimited documents that get updated or completely changed every day (ie each document may be 90% to 100% different after each save. Each document MUST be saved with the EXACT correct file name, otherwise our computer system wont recognize the file as valid and reject it. Each document may start out as a blank or new-never-before-saved document (ie it is not guaranteed that the original document will be opened, edited, then resaved). So you create/edit a blank document that needs to be saved as Tr5HIl1MMnmD3xXssAsS-T_Q-ys0.txt.

Go ahead. Try it. See how far you get.

Why can't there just be a "save as TAB delimited"? To not have that option, IMHO, is just plain stupid.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Turn off "Automatic file name extension" and save with any suffix or none.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
fst
Volunteer

Post by fst »

Hi,

have you tried to put '*.txt' (without the quotes) into the filename field and pressed the Enter Key ?

No ?

So try it and your problem is solved.

To have an extra filter option for an somewhat seldome used option (for the world not yours!) in an currently overloaded Filter box is counter productive and therefore not done.

frank
Frank

If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
MARIO REIS

Post by MARIO REIS »

Please

Where can i report a bug? I strongly beleave i found a bug savig calc files as tab delimited(1.º as CSV then separator {Tab} then fixed column) ;
The result is a file/columns with 1 more byte then it should be.
Can any one help?
Thanks.
Windos7 + openOffice3.2 (portuguese)
squenson
Volunteer

Post by squenson »

You can report a bug at http://qa.openoffice.org. You need to register (it's free!) in order to report a bug. Check whether it doesn't already exist.
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04
huasonshine

Re: Saving Calc files as tab delimited

Post by huasonshine »

I tried several times to save from calc to .txt & .csv maybe I'm tired and frustrated but when I reopened to check spacing, it was garbled code. (blonde geek-speak).
yes, I have tried unchecking the auto ext and typing in my own suffix. I finally gave up and pasted (special) the unformatted text into an .odt; checked spacing, and then pasted into notepad. The long way around but hey, it worked :) and ultimately it transferred properly to my online address book at SOC (which was the point) The odd thing was, that it was inconsistant in the text formatting (adding "quotes" for delimited text) I would love to get feed-back on what causes that. The short cuts are not worth as much if you have to correct 25% of the text to use it, even so it was still faster than re-typng all of the addresses into the individual fields.
OOo 2.4 windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

csv is not a file format. It is mere convention. There are thousands of valid csv variants and quoted text is pretty much standard. Whatever "SOC" means, if it processes text tables should be able to import any flavour of csv you throw at it.
Is there any reason why you load text data into a numeric calculation program? I know that virtually everybody does that since decades with always the same problems since decades. Spreadsheets are not particularly useful as text editors.
http://csved.sjfrancke.nl/ is a text editor for text tables.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
dragon39

Post by dragon39 »

hello. i know this is an old thread, but rather than open some similar thread with the same question which will be answered via same way. I would get straight to the point and jump to the second sub problem here.. . . .

like the thread starter, I wanted to save a calc file as tab delimeted, and not have the comma, , , appear as final form. I've also figured out how to do it via SAVE AS text CSV.

however, even though i can tick the box EDIT FILTER SETTINGS.

no new window containing EXPORT OF TEXT FILES appear for me
i just get to tick or untick the EDIT FILTER SETTINGS and no new window appears

this window doesnt show for me
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5.
windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Did you then click Save after selecting the Edit filter settings check box ? That should then present you with a warning about formatting not being saved in the CSV format; click Keep current format and then you see the dialog shown in your post.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
dragon39

Post by dragon39 »

yes i did.
**edited: problem solved thanks...

the warning about formatting came up in a short while and i was able to save in tabbed format as i intended to do.

thanks
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5.
windows 10