customizing file select options for oocalc

Discuss the spreadsheet application
tyler_w_s

customizing file select options for oocalc

Post by tyler_w_s »

Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using? 2.3 (Debian package 1:2.3.1-5)
What Operating System (version) are you using? Debian Testing/Lenny
What is your question or comment?

Is there a way to customize the open file function in oocalc? It's really wonderful that there are 8 gajillion recognized formats, but text(.csv; .txt; .xls) is buried so far down the list it becomes frustrating picking it out. Is there any way I can hide the majority of options that I will never use?

Also, is there an option to make tab-delimited files opened in oocalc actually open in oocalc, rather than in oowriter, when I forget to select text delimited instead of text?

Sorry if this is a common question, but I couldn't think of a good search phrase.

Cheers,

Tyler
OOo 3.1.1 on Debian
OOo 3.1.1 on Vista
acknak

Re: customizing file select options for oocalc

Post by acknak »

Sadly, no. I've brought it up; there was no interest. Or, I should say there was no alternative proposal that got any interest.

If it's a specific extension you're looking for, e.g. CSV, you can type *.csv in the file name entry and, on typing Enter, the file list will be filtered for that extension. This is using the OOo file dialogs; I thought the Gnome dialogs could do this as well, but on testing them now I can't get it to filter that way.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
tyler_w_s

Post by tyler_w_s »

Too bad, as I find, depending on the day, this is mildly to very annoying. Particularly when I open oocalc, open a file, and then find that oo has decided I really intended to open it in oowriter! That's being just a little too helpful.

Thanks,

Tyler
OOo 3.1.1 on Debian
OOo 3.1.1 on Vista
acknak

Post by acknak »

Yes, in that case, you must use the file type drop down to specify the file type as a Calc file: look for "Text CSV" among the other spreadsheet formats. If you select the file, then select the type as a spreadsheet format, it will open in Calc (after going through the text import filter dialog).
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23