[Solved] Setting Cell to Wrap Text

Discuss the spreadsheet application
tassofo

[Solved] Setting Cell to Wrap Text

Post by tassofo »

Our organization is new to Open Office and we have a group of users that use MS Office and a group that uses Open Office. They frequently share documents and spreadsheets. I have found the following condition in Calc and would like to know if this is a known issue or if there is a work around.

If I create a spreadsheet with Calc and set a cell to wrap text, the cell will expand vertically to accomodate the text.

If a spreadsheet was created using Excel 2003 the wrap text works differently.

I open the excel created spreadsheet in Calc and set a cell to wrap text. The cell expands vertically while I am typing the text, but once I exit the cell it returns to its normal height and width. The cell displays the last typed text that fits in the cell and a small triangle symbol indicating more text exists. The cell does not expand vertically so that all of the text in the cell is visable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
NigelHughes

Re: Setting Cell to Wrap Text

Post by NigelHughes »

Have you tried setting the row height to optimal? (This can be done by selecting the cells you want to show wrap text automatically, and from the Format menu selecting Row > Optimal Height... then clicking OK.)

Hope this helps,
Nigel.
maxqnz

Post by maxqnz »

I can confirm this behaviour. I am not sure which behaviour you are seeking, though. Do you wish to have the behaviour of the native Calc file, with the cell automatically expanded, or the behaviour of the imported XLS, with the little arrow indicating futher text?
non sum uni angulo natus, patria mea totus hic mundus est. - Seneca
The world's about to end... lucky escape for Arsenal if it did. - Douglas Adams
What's a pieriansipist?
tassofo

Post by tassofo »

Problem solved - Calc worked exactly as original Excel file - Someone set the row height to 15 and then set the cell to wrap. The row height setting overrode the cell wrap setting. When the row height was set back to autofit in Excel the cell wrapped as expected. When opening the file in Calc it performed as expected. So, Calc is handling this exactly same as Excel is.