Show Cell result in Text Box in Spreadsheet

Discuss the spreadsheet application
dadclaude

Show Cell result in Text Box in Spreadsheet

Post by dadclaude »

I have a sketch of a beam in a spreadsheet, in the Excel version I have a text boxes on the sketch to show the beam dimensions which are entered in a table. This function does not seem to work in openoffice spreadsheet. In Excel I just select the text box and then copy the relevant cell reference into the formula bar. The sketch drawing then shows the dimensions used for the calculation.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Show Cell result in Text Box in Spreadsheet

Post by Villeroy »

View>Toolbars>Form Controls
Turn on design mode (button #2)
Pick a text box and draw it. (cancel the database wizard when it pops up)
Context menu: "Control...", tab:"Data", linked cell: $Sheet1.$A$1 for instance
Select your other drawing object together with the new text box and group them, so you can move them around as one object.
Turn off design mode (button #2)
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
dadclaude

Post by dadclaude »

Excellent - many thanks it works well! :D
acknak

Post by acknak »

Wow--what an amazing workaround. I would never have thought of that. Nice one, Villeroy!

However, this seems a long way from being able to display cell results in a graphic--which would be a very nice feature.

E.g., be aware that the text box form control is actually an input field: if the user clicks on the control, he can enter a value, which will replace the contents of the cell containing the result! You may want to set the form control to read-only.

PS: Here is the request for this feature: Issue 71994: Calc, no support for formulas in textboxes. You can register and add a comment or vote for the request.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23