[Solved] My Excel formula won't work in Calc.

Discuss the spreadsheet application
mistermouse

[Solved] My Excel formula won't work in Calc.

Post by mistermouse »

Hi Gang, I am new to OOo and have been trying things out this past week or so, pretty impressed so far and think I will stay with it. The only problem I've not been able to get the better of so far is a formula I've used in Excel for years just will not work in Calc. Needless to say I have read the help section and tried a few variations to no avail. As I am new to all this I wondered if the same formula should work in both programs. I will post details of the formula if needed but any help would be a great help.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
huw
Volunteer

Re: My Excel formula won't work in Calc.

Post by huw »

If you have an XLS file with the formula in, then open it in OpenOffice and look at what it has been translated to. Otherwise, post the formula here.
mistermouse

Post by mistermouse »

Thanks huw, will open as you advise then post for you to look at.
mistermouse

Post by mistermouse »

=IF(OR(G14>0, H14>0),($H$9+SUM($G$14:G14))-SUM($H$14:H14),"")

This is the formula I am using in Excel, did as you described and it worked in calc, on original worksheet but when I tried to insert it as a new sheet it would not work. In calc the comma's were replacec with semi-colons which I did also when I typed in the formula. Even tried pasting in original from Excel and work from there but no luck. Hope you are able to shed some light on it for me as it is annoying when I am unable to use same formula from scratch.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Your formula works for me, once I change the commas to semicolons:
=IF(OR(G15>0; H15>0);($H$9+SUM($G$14:G15))-SUM($H$14:H15);"")

What are you seeing that makes you say "it doesn't work"? Do you get an error, or a wrong result, or something else?

Also, I don't quite understand what you mean by "... when I tried to insert it as a new sheet it would not work." Do you mean when you pasted the formula into a different sheet? Or do you mean you inserted a whole new sheet?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
mistermouse

Post by mistermouse »

I get #NAME in the cell and the new sheet is either pasting the formula or typing it on an empty sheet. I will try again. Thanks very much for your help, will let you know how it goes.
mistermouse

Post by mistermouse »

I did it thanks to you guys, great help THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! :) :) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. I missed out just ONE comma and that stopped it working, time to change my glasses, I think.!!!
acknak

Re: [Solved] My Excel formula won't work in Calc.

Post by acknak »

Been there, done that, need the same glasses.

It's taken me ages to get used to Calc's use of semicolons in formulas, and the #NAME error is less than helpful.

Glad you got it straightened out.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23