Data validation - bug

Discuss the spreadsheet application
vandrovnik

Data validation - bug

Post by vandrovnik »

Hi,

there is a problem with data validation. We have a spreadsheet created in Excel. In the data validation, I put somethink like this:
=IF(A3=7;true;false)
(Just an example, we use more complex formulas). In Excel, I can then write number 7 into A3.

When I open this spreadsheet in Calc, Data validation seems to allow everythink. But, it is not possible to enter any value: not the number 7, nor anythink else.
I suggest to implement user-validation using a formula, OR to let the user to write any value. Current behaviour, when the user can not write anything into this cell, is not correct.

Kind regards,
Karel Rys
acknak

Re: Data validation - bug

Post by acknak »

I don't think Data > Validity works the way you want (or the way it works in Excel). E.g. see this thread: Validity: how to require unique values? (Excel compatibility).
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Data validation - bug

Post by Villeroy »

Validation by macro could solve this. That approach would be far from trivial nor compatible to Excel.
Conditional formatting can indicate wrong input by highlighting the cell after invalid input.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice