Link a Calc cell to another application

Discuss the spreadsheet application
cedrik0s

Link a Calc cell to another application

Post by cedrik0s »

Hi all.

I am using a CAD (SolidEdge) that allows linking variables to spreadsheets' cells. It work fine with Excel, but unfortunately I can't get the same thing to work with Calc.
Here's what I do to get it to work with Excel :
-open the Excel document
-select the wanted cell
-perform a normal "copy" (ctrl+c)
-switch to the CAD software
-select the destination variable int the variable table, and do a "paste link" from the shortcut menu

After doing that, the variable in the CAD updates correctly when the spreadsheet cell in Excel is modified.

When doing the same with calc, apparently the content of the clipboard is not a link, and the command "paste link" in the CAD's shortcut menu is disabled (greyed).

Does anyone know what I should do with calc to get it to work?
Is there a "Copy special" or "Copy link" function?

Thanks a lot

Cheers
Hagar Delest

Re: Link a Calc cell to another application

Post by Hagar Delest »

DDE links work fine with OOo. But it may a problem with SolidEdge that doesn't recognize the ODF format. You should ask their support about that.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Dave

Post by Dave »

The Help menu of Solid Edge has a connection to their support center. I wouldn't count on their software being compatible with OO. It's an initial [solid edge] programming option to be compatible with MS software.

An awesome CAD program by the way. They also have an awesome giveaway in their 2D program offer.

David.
cedrik0s

Post by cedrik0s »

Thanks Hagar and Dave for your replies.

I have posted this support request to SolidEdge. Still waiting for an answer though :) .

Yes, I am using the free version of Solid Edge 2D Drafting, and yes, it's an amazing software + service for a free product!

I will post here their answer if it comes, so that others can learn here too.

Thanks agian.

Cheers.