Losing formatting, what am I doing wrong?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Boomer

Losing formatting, what am I doing wrong?

Post by Boomer »

Hi everyone,
I apologize if this is a nubish question, I am new to Open Office.

When I try to format an entire column I seem to lose some of the formatting as soon as I click on an individual cell. For example, I clicked on the top of a column (the little grey box that contains the letter of the column), highlighted all cells, then right clicked and selected "format cells". Then I selected, "Alignment", "wrap text automatically" and put the "vertical" setting to "top". It kept the formatting for the first cell, then forgot the "wrap text automatically" for the rest but rememberd to keep the vertical setting to "top" for all of them. It has done this consistently with other columns that I've tried to format to different specifications. It seems to sometimes remember some settings, and forget others.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks again.
ps, I'm using the latest version of OOo with Windows XP
acknak

Re: Losing formatting, what am I doing wrong?

Post by acknak »

Hmm, I don't see that.

Does it happen if you start up a new spreadsheet and set the column format, or only in a particular document that you're working on?

What version of OOo are you using (Note "the latest" is not specific enough). Check under Help > About OOo; there should be a version number with three numbers.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

I'm using version 2.3.1

It seems to work fine if I type something into a cell and then hit enter or tab down. It seems to not work if I type something into a cell and then hit the cell five rows below, without typing anything into the middle four cells. That's when it will lose some of it's formatting. I had created a template with some titles in the top columns and was using that template when I noticed the problem.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Sorry, again I don't see that. If I follow your instructions, I can enter text in any cell right down to the last one in the column and they all have the same formatting.

I'm on Linux (although I doubt that makes any difference for this). Can someone else try it on Windows?

You might also try loggin in as a different (preferably new) user account. Sometimes OOo get's confused over it's configuration settings. Trying with a fresh configuration sometimes restores correct behavior.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23